Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

01 Kat Electrical problem

This is my first post so hello everyone!

I purchased my Katana used about 4 months ago and for the first 2 or 3 months she ran perfect. I left her out in the rain once and soon there after, the next morning, she would not start. I had a good freind of mine who is also a certified motorcycle mechanic look to see if he could find the culprit. With a few hours of tampering he fixed the problem but we could not figure out exactly what he did to fix it. We were assuming a loose electrical cable was the problem at that time. I may have gotten another week or two of riding out of the Kat and the problem occured again blowing the main fuse this time. Replacing the fuse and tampering with various electrical components did not resolve the issue so I elected to take it to a shop. Some time later they (the shop) finally fixed the problem which turned out to be an exposed wire. I picked up the bike from the shop and drove it home with no problem. The very next day I attempted to take the bike out for a spin and she did not start yet again but this time I did at least see dim headlights. So I called up the shop where I had taken it and explained the problem. They told me it was probably my battery considering the symtoms. So I replaced the battery (charged for 24 hours prior to install) and all I get as far as power is the clock on the control panel. As soon as I turn the key to the "on" position the clock turns off and I get nothing else.........no lights, no sounds, no nothing. When I turn the key to the "off" position the clock comes back on.

I appolize for the long thread but if anyone has a spare moment to pitch in any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome, justmoody. I'm no expert, but I wonder if the ignition switch has a fault.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Rowdy. It's funny you mentioned the ignition because I had a problem with the key being stuck a while back when I initially turned the bike into the shop. I'll be sure to suggest a close inspection of the ignition switch this time around.

I just got off the phone with a friend that suggested the "wiggle" method to pin point an electrical problem. I'm gonna give that a shot before the shop comes to pick up my bike yet again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information