Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been wanting to go back to my gaming roots for two years now - And I just can't.

man i sat in my dads lap to play Wolfenstein, then came Wolfenstein 3d Spear of destiny that was the greatest sequel EVER!!!!. damn now i wanna bust out my old flopys and dig out my old packard bell. The good ole days are gone i guess.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been wanting to go back to my gaming roots for two years now - And I just can't.

The only oldschool games I miss are Lemmings and Tetris.

I seriously have an addiction to that block dropping game :frown:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man, the day that game got smashed by my little nephew was a family tragedie. I miss Tetris. :sad:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cant get enough of those old games. My 100% favourite DOS game of all time has got to be Descent. Used to play it day and night for weeks on end. I find it a real shame i never had the chance to progress to Descent II and III. Precious memories with my Sonic and Knuckles collectors edition cd's, One my all time favourite games. Commander Keen was legendary. How can you people forget Halloween Harry? Wolfenstein 3d. Duke Nukem. Jill of the jungle i remember as well. Doom. Quake. Heretic. Hexen. Hocus Pocus was another fav. PAC MAN!.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[SUBLIMINAL]I've got a copy of Descent II .[/SUBLIMINAL]

Dude, Descent fucking kicks the shit out of ANY id Software title ever. It's only a two way tie with Doom because of Doom's certain aspects of violence.

Descent is the most fun I've ever had playing a game, hands down. The Level 7 boss was my tormentor for five years. Then he became my bitch.

The first seven levels are great - ableit easy. Levels eight and above? A non-Descent veteran will get creamed. Level 12 is the hardest level I've ever played in my life, but it's not frustrating. I absolutely LOVE the central pillar they trick you into going into...When it's totally redundant, and filled with the most dangerous robots around.

Level 23 is also amazing - The caged pathways that expose you to lethal robots as well as the most lethal non-boss enemy ever - the purple Miniboss, at the most critical parts of the level.

The Miniboss is a fucking beast - It's a miniature Level 7 boss, except purple, and it has fusion cannons as opposed to smart missle launchers. What really freaks you out is it's cry - The only talking bot. As soon as you hear that distorted voice:

"AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH DESTRUCTION!"

You're fucked! They are a bitch to take out - two Smart missles does it. Lasers and Plasma cannons take to long, by then you're dead.

Every shot takes away c. 50-80 shield - and your ship carries 200 max. They can also shoot once every 12 seconds, and they hunt in packs.

Man, that game had amazing AI. It truly was a masterpiece that never got enough recognition. Very popular game, though.

Little known fact: Descent I has three secret levels. They are located in Level 10, Level 21, and Level 24. I know where they all are, btw . If you see a room with bright blue 60's style patterns, you found it!

They are the most demented, weird, mentally insane looking levels I've seen in my whole life, especially the last one. They are also death traps - but death traps filled with Mega Missle goodness .

So here's a thought for you man... build your programming skills by designing and developing an editor for those old school games.

We all know the hardware can take them... you just need to slow stuff down and make it work. Go for it.

This is one of those "don't whine, just do it" moments.

FUCKS YEAH! I haven't played that since 1999! I am SO fucking ordering that case tomorrow.

I would for Descent, but there is already a level editor for it called DEViL that is so powerful, it unleashes shit in the engine that Parallax Software didn't even know about - such as 4D rendering. It takes advantage of undocumented features that were discovered by hackers.

Then, you also have the Descent Mission Builder software, the official one made by BrainWare. I use that, but I'm going to try to learn DEViL - It's tricky, but your levels look amazing with it.

The official dev tools are worthless - the only work the the registered version 1.1. They are not very powerful, either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information