Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    TucsonBob

Can I "unlock" Outlook 2002 so it can receive emails that contain .asp file attachments?

My Outlook 2002 (using Windows XP with all service packs), allows me to send .asp files by email, but "blocks" emails with .asp files that are sent to me. Any way I can "unlock" this security feature of the program.
    I tried making the change suggested below, but being a registry newbie, I wasn't able to make it. In my Windows XP system, I got to the registry key, and on the drop down menu selected add string value and entered the suggestion, but it did not "save" when I exited. Obviously, I was doing something wrong. So I need "step-by-steps" to take me to day light. Sorry for further request...

bolzano_1989
    Outlook 2007, Outlook 2003, Outlook 2002 and Outlook 2000 SP3 (but not Outlook 98 or earlier Outlook 2000 versions) allow the user to use a registry key to open up access to blocked attachments. (Always make a backup before editing the registry.) To use this key:

1. Run Regedit, and go to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office.0\Outl ook\Security (change 10.0 to 9.0 for Outlook 2000 SP3 or to 11.0 for Outlook 2003, 12.0 for Outlook 2007 )
    2. Under that key, add a new string value named Level1Remove.
    3. For the value for Level1Remove, enter a semicolon-delimited list of file extensions. For example, entering this:

.asp;.url

would unblock .ASP files and Internet shortcuts. Note that the use of a leading dot was not previously required, however, new security patches may require it. If you are using "asp;url" format and extensions are blocked, add a dot to each extension. Note also that there is not a space between extensions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information