Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is my son behind?

I am not answering as a parent, but as someone who works in the early childhood field.

YOU really are the best to know YOUR CHILD and his development. If you don't have concerns, accept that and try not to let the others get to you. Just keep watching as he continues to develop. Typically around this age, they have at least 20 words. Around this time, he should begin using prepositions as well. In the next several months he should begin increasing his vocabulary at a fairly rapid rate and putting two words together to make a statement or request.

There are many areas to watch for development of your child. Physical development, cognitive development, speech and language development, gross motor development, fine motor development, social development and emotional development. There is really a lot of growth taking place at this age.

If YOU have any concerns about your son's development, you can have your child tested for free through your local Child Find program. Early Intervention services are available in every community. You don't say what state you are in so I can't help you with the name of the program in your community. You could do an internet search with the name of your state + the words "child find" or "early intervention". You could also call your LEA (local school district). They should be able give you the information on where and when your local Child Finds occur. If you have your child tested and they do find that your son is behind, the early childhood experts will be able to guide you to ensure your child gets the support appropriate to his needs. Often, help at a young age can prevent the need for additional services as a child gets older.

By the way, it really is important to have your child on a regular schedule.

I'm not trying to take any sides with this response. I'm just trying to make sure you have enough information to make an informed decision.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is my son behind?

Exact in your words...." All babies develop in different stages"....Keep that in mind...My daughter talked like an adult by 14 months, my 2 sons talked like they walked out of a bar at closing time until they reached over 3 yrs of age......But, they walked by the time they were 10 months old and my daughter wouldn't attempted walking until 15 months of age....All my kids are straight A students and nothing wrong w/ them, other than the usual..trying to test mom..haha...don't worry about what anyone says..your the mom and that is what matters if you feel there is a concern I am sure you will take care of it.....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is my son behind?

Your son sounds like hes doing fine! As for your MIL shes probably the only thing influencing your judgement..am I right?
    As other posters have said you are the parent...and he is YOUR child however maybe you could offer your MIL a compromise of sorts..I am not sure if you son going to bed that late works for your schedule if it does fine leave it... but.... you could say to your MIL...hows about if I put him down by say 9 pm you will refrain from commenting on his milestones...dunno if thats any help....maybe she could help him settle for the night with a story from Granma?? Giving her some special time with him..might help...
    kep us posted

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information