Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spyware/Ad/Popup code discovered in Kayaman Java Chat pg used by MusicCity. & Xolox?

After I activated the "chat" link at the xolox.nl page I startet getting popups. I even got popups visiting this forum, and that has never happened before. So, as I always do when I suspect some page has installed spyware on my computer - I ran Ad-aware from lavasoft (as I do automatically every day, the latest is six hours before this happened).
    Anyways, the result was that it found two spyware components, "Gator" and "Aureate". They are now deleted and I am not getting popups at gnutellaforums.

I think you guys should take a look at this chat link (http://www.p2pchat.org/xchatstart.htm). Does it or does it not install spyware?

Stig Eide ([email protected])
    Hope Im not spreading false rumours, dont think so.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Spyware/Ad/Popup code discovered in Kayaman Java Chat pg used by MusicCity. & Xolox?

Actually this forum is not run by XoloX so no control over the pop-ups it loads. Yes this forum does load popups to support it, it does for all the clients sadly.

The 'gator' and other traces you have must be from other installed programs. That page you posted was clean as a whistle. I recommend you run ad-aware because the fact is those compenents will cause things to load on you even when visiting a site that does not have any form up ads.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

In the process of posting this reply AdSubtract Pro blocked 35 Ads and four Pop-ups.

Gnutellaforums.com

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This pop ups were caused by the HTML code in the first post, gnutellaforums itself have only banners.

Morgwen

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also use an IRC client.

Pop ups are NO spyware!

You will find several websides with pop ups they need to pay their bills with advertisement!

Gator and aureate is sure Spyware but sure not installed through this IRC chat...

Morgwen

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

KayaMan does not put popups on our chat clients. Period.

I would love to know how you got gator/etc from the SIGNED jPilot applet. That is a clean, professional well paid for applet. It is NOT adware. With an up to date copy of ie, there are NO known vulnerabilities to make somebody download and run something without their knowledge.. oops, you're an idiot.

Next time learn wtf you are talking about. You're as bad as the moron with the packet sniffer - or are you the same person.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That brings up an OT question I've had for a while. Cyclo, why do you have html turn on in these forums? It is a security hole and really should be disabled.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes U did, kid. clean your computer, most fileharing programs come with spyware. Xolox and the Xolox chat is spyware-free.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You mean someone posted their own pop-up ad code in their post?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes.

Morgwen

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information