Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

More Anonymious then Gnutella

If you want more anonymity then Gnutella, but can't figure out how to use Freenet, try using ELFnet. http://www.projectelf.com/

ELFnet is the easiest program to use that also has anonymity. Check out the future of P2P.

ELFnet is still just getting started and needs our support.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a great program. I have been looking for something with more anonymity. But like you said it is still just getting started ie slow downloades and not much content.

But I think it would be worth trying to support it. Anonymity is definitely the future of file sharing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you ask me, there's only 1 or 2 people sharing files on ELFnet.
    I always get the same search results.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

With lack of annonymous sharing capabilities in its current incarnation, is there any hope of the gnutella protocol evolving toward a more anonymous protocol? It would be a sad thing to see gnut fall prey to the same jackals that have slain the mighty Napster...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ya, users range about 1-10. But that is not the point, it is a new network and it is a given that it won't have any files yet.

The point is that if you have used Gnutella to share files and got one of the nasty email for you ISP saying that they are going to shut you off if you don't stop sharing copyrighted files, or if you are just concerned in general about the lack of anonymity in Gnutella, or if you think that all file sharing programs might follow Napster down the drain hole.

Then you might be like me and want to support any program with some anonymity even if it doesn't have a lot of files yet.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, this is just what I have been looking for.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as I know the Gnutella protocol will not be able to do that. They will most likely have to build a new protocol. But then I don't really know that much about the protocal.

HydroPhonic do you know if I am right about Gnutella not being able to evolve?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am alarmed by a couple features of the ELFnet...
    First, it's closed-source. They say the reason is to prevent "malicious download corruption" (maridun, ELF forum admin), presumably by a misbehaving servent or user.

Strong encryption algorithms are open source, and they are so because they can withstand the ultimate scrutiny and lose none of their effectiveness in protecting their users. CSS could not withstand such scrutiny; DeCSS destroyed it.

I worry that ELF could not stand up to a determined attack by an industry with lots of money. The encryption they use, although decent (and rather novel, I think), is not absolute like strong encryption should be (and is!)

Also, I am beginning to design a program which acts as a framework that I can snap-in modules to support new protocols as they emerge. Although I intent to include a Gnutella module (called "Deez Gnuts!" ) and a FreeNet module, I will not (obviously) be able to include an ELF module until they Provide the promised APIs...

And whatever shall happen when I add another computer to my home network, a Linux computer amongst the Wintels?

I'm afraid that, while ELF improves on Gnutella's lack of security (at the expense of horrendous ELFnet bandwidth expenditure OMG!!), it isn't strong enough to warrant the switch...

I'm still reading up on FreeNet...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great program, hope it becomes more popular.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

very much that Gnutella cannot evolve. It's capabilities are only for searching... the regular Internet is used to download...

Gnutella would have to make such a radical change as to no longer be compatible with the current incarnation... that means it will become a new protocol (and therefore, no longer be Gnutella).

There are two new protocols in the works (and surely more to follow!)
    www.projectelf.com
    www.freenetproject.org

Although I wouldn't advise moving immediately to one of these, they're certainly important to watch...

My website
    members.aol.com/VbHydroPhonic/index.html
    will have much info on it... (under construction... "Future of Gnutella section's up tho )

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information