Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gnutella has a problem

Xolox 1.12 users can download from BearShare without any problem. Bearshare is only blocking any incoming connection attempts for gnutella connections not for file transfer connections.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

Saeger wrote on Zeropaid:

"I remember it was only a year ago when Vinnie was absolutely EMPHATIC that he would NEVER charge for BearShare (in any form) - the company is even named FreePeers, Inc. [...] I would link to the relevant bearshare.net posts, but they were all conveniently wiped out in a mysterious screwup a while ago."

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/05082002e.php

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

"LimeWire, Gnucleus, and others treat all nodes on the Gnutella network equally. BearShare does not. Please don't use BearShare, as it only works properly with other BearShare clients and leaves users with other clients unable to access the files you are trying to share. Here's a simple rhyme to help everyone remember:

Be nice and play fair. Uninstall BearShare."

--\dr. damn/--
    Found at http://cleanclients.edot.ch/bearshare.html

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

The only thing i can answer to all the troll posts on the forum is: goodbye gnutella, i'll come back when the situation has changed (too sad that it'll not change until Bearshare&Limewire are completely separated and don't pretend using the gnutella network)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

someone said: "Gnutella to new lows."

On the contrary, gnutella (technically) has never been better.

The people that are most vocal about their anti-gnutella views just don't like the spyware and politics of the big commercial client developers.

"Get over it, this is just how things work". If you guys don't like the commercial aspects of gnutella, then help develop that openp2p protocol where you can block/control what clients use it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

Hmm...

personal attacks? I tried to post on bearshare.net a few times after the kick Morgwen poll - what do you think how the people discussed with me? They insulted me too!!! What do you think what I have done? I ingnored it or replied ironic, but I never whined that they attacked me!!!

And what you are calling attacks and flames are normally ONLY unfriendly replies - if you want to see REAL flames go to bearshare.net! Yes they called me a NAZI only because I live in Germany!!!

If you feel insulted ignore it and reply to the topic, but STOP whining with every second word about it!!!

And please STOP to claim that Moak or me hide behind every corner, not every anti-bearshare post is from us!

Morgwen

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

Tor,

if you need more infos about vinnies plans:

http://www.gnutellaforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8470

Perhaps you want to write a post about this in the GDF? I never posted there and I am not going to start it now...

Morgwen

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

[WARNING: TANGENTIAL, INCOHERENT RANTING AHEAD]

Well, I think that Gnutella is carpy without ultrapeers. You should check out Direct Connect; the admins exort evil, czar-like power over the users (I was banned from my favorite hub recently because I accidentally shared an exe file), but the restrictions keep the hub free of leechers and generally make everyone happy. Wouldn't it be nice if you could actually find the rare file you were looking for on Gnutella? Well, if there was a 5GB minimum share to access the network, I'll bet you could.

LimeWire is an excellent step in the direction of DC, with its freeloader blocking and ultrapeers; I run FreeWire myself. BearShare, however, is corroding the Gnutella network; because of the BearShare black hole, the only way you can get into its part of the network is to have a seperate cache for BearShare and all other clients. No client I know does this.

A perfect Gnutella network would have everyone using minimum shares except for the people who are OK with the idea of freeloaders sucking their bandwidth. Ultrapeers would be the norm, but there would also be connections to other clients in case an important ultrapeer shut down. Oh, and clients would be able to discriminate on the basis of filenames shared (e.g., .vbs files would get you kicked from the network), there would be a common chatroom that echoed across the network, and BearShare-like black holes would be nonexistent.

Dream on, Ashi.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gnutella has a problem

Read post above: without other clients, Xolox 1.12 users can not download from Bearshare.

Q: How do you download from a client if you can't search for files and can't see search results (Queryhits)?
    A: You can't! Other clients grant access to the Bearshare network, Bearshare alone would 100% block it! Understand how Gnutella works and you understand you can't download without connecting to other clients and without the possibility to search for files.

Conclusion: Bearshare is not fair, blocks and disadvantages clients, is splitting the network.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information