Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Should Downloading Music really be free for everyone to read please!

Im sure they are taking plenty of time to read what's here, but you may have a point. Remember though...these guys are well perpared to take it on.

-d

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

They obviously rigged the poll by stating the real question in bold, then restating using the antithesis for the poll.

That was a dirty trick, hoping that most of us wouldn't take notice until after posting our opinion. I, too, erroneously posted 'yes' when I actually support the 'no' answer.

On that note, I have personally been involved in the music industry for many years. I have close friends that have had #1 hits all over the globe. Literally. What have they got to show for it? Not as much as you would like to believe. Then where did the money go? To the record companies and their executives ~ NEVER to the artists.

There are so many examples to choose from. Look at Toni Braxton and her filing for bankruptcy not too long ago. She claimed her record company refused to pay for her promotional expenses (advertising) and even her concerts. The majority of the money she made went right back into keeping her career alive ... while the record company laughed all the way to the bank. If that were not the case, how can these companies afford to pay Mariah Carey all that money just to quit?! Plus, CD's cost the record company about *****00 USD to manufacture. Guess again if you think the artist got the balance from what you and I paid for the same CD.

So, as a fellow artist, copy away people. Share and share alike. Let's face it, the public is always going to find a way to share music and files, so why bother fighting it. Just like when they invented the bullet-proof vest, someone invented the armor-piercing bullet.

We, the people, have to be careful as to downloading "new and improved" CD sharing & burning software. Before doing so, try to ensure the product hasn't fallen into the hands of the people trying to banish music sharing. Otherwise, you may find your favorite software no longer functions in this capacity. A simple rule of thumb: if your software 'aint broke, don't replace it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Be aware of what your digital rights management (DRM) software is doing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry but I have to breed, NOW.... hehehehe

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once there was only live music, and the issue of who owned the sound after the artist produced it did not exist.

An accident of late 19th century technology (Edison) created the recorded music industry. The legal right to record music was established by judicial fiat at that time. Freelancers, commonly derogated as bootleggers, not allowed. Our right to record the music of our choice was legally stolen from us.

An accident of late 20th century technology (Napster) gave us the ability to share our recorded music over the internet. Our legal right to do this has been stolen from us in the last year in the process of destroying Napster, again by judicial fiat.

The original copyright law established by Congress ran for 14 years. It has been increased a number of times, is now 56 years and there is constant pressure to lengthen it more.

Most of us are paid just once for the work we do. Copyright holders are paid again and again for the same piece of work.

The CD industry is one of the most profitable there is. CDs retail at $15 - $20, while al its production and promotion costs average less than $3. And now we find we do not own our CDs, we are merely renting them.

Capitalism does not sell goods at cost + a modest profit, it sells them for what the market will bear. A $17 profit on a $3 investment is the moral equivalent of selling heroin. If people will pay so much more than the cost of production, the purchase is not rational, it is compulsive.

Not only should we share our music across the internet, WE HAVE A MORAL OBLIGATION TO DESTROY THIS CORRUPT AND RAPACIOUS RECORDED MUSIC INDUSTRY. And file shaqring is the means.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've just got a couple things to add to the mix. Firstly, I remember the same type of discussion when cassette recorders first became popular, the recording industry was going to go broke. DJs had to speak over the first portion of the song, making clean recordings impossible. Well, the recording industry is still here. Now we're having the same discussion. Granted, mp3s have a greater impact, but as the world changes (improves) so must the recording industry. Yes all buisnesses have the right to profit and make money, but you should not be able to legislate profits. It is a difficult situation, the recording industry supports the artists and "nurtures" them, making it possible for them to make music (blehk). Than they lay claim to the music, they own it and can sell it. This may sound far fetched, but could you be sued for walking down the street singing a song? I draw the line at profit. If you are not attempting to make a profit with someone elses music, it's probably not a crime. Granted, "make a profit" can also be interpreted other ways. If you save 20.00 by downloading a song, have you made a profit? Well thats food for thought.

Second, and my biggest gripe. Have you ever tried to replace a damaged CD? Music, software or otherwise, it aint happening. If you want to have your CD back you pay full price. With software, you can have the damaged original, be willing to send it back, be willing to pay for cost to the manufacturer. No deal, if you want it, you pay full price.

Well, sorry for being longwinded. This is a very new, very grey area (in my mind) and this type of forum cannot do it justice. Just my two cents, thanks for your patience.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information