Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How I spy on Gnutella for big corporations

Good old Iain and Good old Taliban have certainly wound-up a load of paranoid garbage, one more time.

The number one problem today in Gnutella Network is that the majority of users are running software for which there is no documentation...... No User's Manuals... they are flying blind on ridiculously optimistic default settings provided by the developers.

Not true? Ask anyone what an Ultraleaf is.

Next problem is the ever-increasing level of paranoia which is fanned into leaping flames by certain users... NOT outside 'authorities', but particular private individuals who cannot pass up the opportunity of mounting their current favourite soapbox and preaching away on their latest sermon.......

Sure there are maybe going to be some attempts at disruption from commercial enterprises... So what? What happened to the little fact that they... 'THEY'... cannot bust everybody....
    Iain, you are doing the dirty work already.
    Quit all of this public stuff and work quietly if you have ideas to help...... there are an unbelievable number of posts here from you that any lawyer would cream in his Gucci jeans over..... You, with many of your posts are actually providing a form of 'evidence' for the prosecution.....

By all means, pursue your ideas....... Just stop telling the 'enemy' what your position is and what you're planning to do next, hmmm?

You may as well be simply sending the thoughts you post here in e-mails instead... e-mails to the people you think are trying to destroy Gnutella Network and more.

Sssshhhhhhhh.......
    Private... not public, right?

and, last... Taliban's comments about Mike Stokes being in the pay of someone who wishes to destroy Gnutella Network is just more of the same crap Taliban can always be expected to produce.... Mindless stupidity without a gramme of consideration for the truth...... Pumped up ego games that are never worth following.
    Taliban's history speaks for itself.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good, now we have a few 100 tonnes of truth being stated here.
    Might just bury some of the bs that has been pumped out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe there should be a code or something so no unknown users can get in but a good tip I read before is try not to download files with an exact name sometimes they might be fake or spy also get some of those free anti spyware things like spybot Search and destroy and spy sweeper this is what I use. this is going to become a very big issue for us all so we need to protect areselves. If any of you know how to make programs maybe some can be made to stop these spies

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Their going to pay you the big bucks for asking questions like that? Sh** give them my address. Thats too funny. I think you're probably a poser.

At anyrate if you try to use spy nodes without consent you're hacking. Try that and your entire "007 spy node" will be blackholed never to see the light of day again. It's happened before. Not to mention the legal aspects.

I hope that helps,

Ringo....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Open source also means no security in the areas that count (and little legal protection for that matter). Just take the open source client, put in some hostile features and you can disrupt/destroy the network (given the proper resources).

Some people see it like this:

A new client pops up around the time network disruption is at it's greatest. It has lots of features and is being rapidly developed... so it attracts lots of users. This conspiracy theory may be silly but i've heard more ridiculous things.

Read Search The GDF for discussion about this. 2 client developers that I know of have added anti-hammering functionality to their clients, just because of Qtrax.

Excuse me, but you've not been living under a rock have you?

He's probably suggesting that any for-profit client developer could be bribed...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do not be so paranoid I think that the Gnutella users out there do got a brain and will stop using bad clients.And Open Source is also a good thing because after all most Open Source developers out there are good people that like to mess whit evil programmers they are Info Anarchist's in that aspect.So this means that if some client developer/developers develop an evil client that struck's the Gnutella network they will do counter strickes to preserve the networks integrity.

I have not used Shareaza so i do not know if it is good or not but time will tell if it turned out to be an Evil client or not.

I will do that!

Maybe I have who knows!In a previous life maybe I was a crab or something
    The reson I tghink that Gnutella is strong against attacks is because it is so decentralized and with so many clients so a Single client can not destroy it just harm it a little bit and since it is open source developers will always fight back against attacks.

That is true but it still does not hurt the network.

Soon I may be offered big dollars from a big corporation to write a very advanced client, using a team of programmers so that I can produce the most popular client for Gnutella.
    It has to be very popular because it needs to be distributed all across Gnutella to do it's dirty work properly.
    This client will spy on all nodes that it can from it's horizon and report back to a bank of servers located at our new multi million dollar computing spy center.
    Please stop me.
    They have tried to spy on Gnutella using nodes running at the corporate office.
    Remember that a single node has only a limited horizon, and due to the distributed nature of Gnutella it costs too much to set up thousands of computers and set up a network of distributed IP addresses so this can't be detected or blocked.
    The idea is to become the most popular and most distributed client so it's easy for these corporations to keep the Gnutella network under control through enforcement and network disabling methods.
    Control is what these corporations have lost, control over their content, and this can help to give it back.
    They are desperate and may ask me to add features to slow down or disable certain "uncontrolled" parts of the network, such as those nodes that use encryption or other means to keep us from spying on them.
    If we can make those nodes less popular, then people will move to our client and control will then be enforced.
    This will be designed in a way to keep even the best hackers from detecting what we are doing. Spy data will be saved and sent in random bursts at random times, and will be encrypted and hidden in headers, search results, or special bytes that look normal and other means I can't say here.
    Please stop me. Please expose this!
    Control of the network is what it is all about.
    I don't know if it's legal to make someone's computer a spy node without telling the user, but who's going to know? Who's got the dollars to sue anyway?
    One thing that they won't let me add are ways to spread those corporations' content without detection, so you probably won't see our spy program doing things like encryption for files or any other features that help distribute their content without them knowing it.

(note that Unregistered users never come up with any good suggestions, ideas, warnings about bad clients or anything like that, so let's block them so they conform to the norm)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So, you're saying you can trust a client because it's open-source? bull#@&%. Do you trust Morpheus? Morpheus, the currently most popular Gnutella client, by far, which is also open-source, and a clone of another popular open source client, has done more to bring down the Gnutella network than the RIAA or any government agency to date. This is the sort of bullcrap that open-source clients add to the network. I would rather not see a repeat of the current situation again. Stay closed-source!

Not to mention that no form of security can be built-in to any open-source clients.

IMHO, the only thing open-source does is allow creeps to rip off someone else's code, change a few things, such as links and ads (either ripping them out, adding some in, or replacing the old ones with new ones so the new company gets the money instead), and stick their name on it, and more often than not, the new clients don't care about the health of the network... Think Morpheus, Freewire, etc.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello!

You have to take the good with the bad.!

Open Source of all kinds is good just look at Linux.And as far as Gnutella clients are concerned look at LimeWire probably the safest client out there.

But ofcourse there will always be some bad ones out there but thats the price we have to pay in order for the network to continue developing fast.Personally I think that the network will just get better and better even if some bad clients comes out hopefully the Gnutella users are smart people and chooses the correct clients.

By the Way Cool No Doubt gif you have there but why dont you like Moby?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ringo Chen ****, atleast I though of something

BTW
    I am no poser, and I know what I'm taking about

NO flames read the forum rules

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information