Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you share or act as an ultrapeer?

Many people rant bitc h around about Gnutella, that you can't find anything and if you do, you won't be able to download it because you get into a long long queue.

The Gnutella Protocol offers the technology to allow fast and precise searching and also fast downloading and distribution, for me the problem seems to be on the lack of users willing to share either their files or their bandwidth.

So the question: Do you share or act as an Ultrapeer?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good question!
    both--when I can. Still, if I have to choose between one or the other (bandwidth constraints), which do you think helps the network more? Sharing or being an UP?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think its always best to have as many ultrapeers as possible and file sharers but the people that only download or dont leave there limewire up make it kind of unfare slowing down the network for us and not helping it, they should make it so you have to be an ultrapeer if you dont have pro

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

LW chooses it's ultrapeers. Not much point forcing someone to be an ultrapeer if they have a slow connection... that's not going to speed things up!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

With the next version you should be able to do both because it should reduce the upload speed automatically when you become an ultrapeer.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an old pc, and it locks up when any client uses too much bandwith. I do share all my files though.

Ivan
    In the dark we make a brighter light

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a bit of a moral dilemma with this whole sharing/ultrapeer issue.I share my files but when i download something i burn it to cd or dvd so i can watch it/listen to it away from the computer.To save space on the hard drive i delete the more popular ones because it would make very little diffrence if i had a song that another 15 people had.But a few months ago i was downloading a certain tv series which had over 20 episodes and left them all on there to share even tho it nearly filled my hard drive because they where from America and during the daytime here most of the people where either offline or not sharing so i left it like that for a week and had an incredible ammount of hits [around 200] and people where constantly downloading it after a week i decided to burn the files to dvd and watch them on something bigger than a s****y 14inch monitor then i deleted them and cleaned my hard drive.If i download a really obscure song [the young marble giants being a typical example] i leave it on my shared and let other people download it.
    Same with my rare/obscure videos i have left them on because they are obscure and not many people will search for them but for a fan of this musician the videos are a goldmine.So it's personal choice really share the hard to find stuff and delete the others.Same with uploading i recomend put rare stuff on and leave the chart stuff where it is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Engaging ultrapeer caused massive, heavy, relentless traffic when monitored; then connection went down. I'm on DSL. It also slowed MY searches. Believe me, I've twiddled with all the controls/parameter/settings possible, and it's just better to have Ultrapeer disabled WHILE YOU ARE LOOKING YOURSELF. Often, however, I will engage ultrapeer for other people's benefit, for as long as it holds and connection stays. I have not lost connection with Ultrapper disabled.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's because you don't need to be an ultrapeer to connect to the network. However, without them the network would not function efficiently.

Ivan
    In the dark we make a brighter light

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

@AaronWalkhouse: Where did you get the stats from, taht only 12% of users in Gnutella are Freeloaders? Do you have a source for other similarly interesting stats?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information