Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

Saw the new Star Trek last week-end and enjoyed it more as an action-adventure not a pure sci-fi film. At the end of the day it was all about setting the scene for a new movie franchise. i.e. how Kirk's & Spock's childhooRAB shaped them, how their destinies entwined and how the core Enterprise crewe of Scotty. McCoy, Uhuru, Sulu & Chekov came together.

The threat and defeat of the renegade Romulan Nero seemed almost a side issue as you just knew he would get his come-uppence in the end. Noted also that there was some passing resemblance of the main characters to the original TV series cast and other subtle references to TOS episodes.

Has been mentioned already in the thread but I totally failed to recognise Spock's mother was Winona Ryder.

... now can't wait for the next instalment which will of course include some conflict with the Klingons.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

I have to agree with a great performance from Karl Urban as McCoy.

Oh, and you have to remember Romulans are related to Vulcans so live to a great age, 25 years to them is nothing. T'Pol was 63 in Enterprise.

Overall great film, would recommend it. Hope it proves sucessful so Paramount decide to comission more.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

Saw it at the Glasgow Imax and the biggest laughs came from some Scotty's very Scottish lines (probable alot funnier to Scots and folk who know Scots well), I thought his accent was pretty good but I agree with his own comment about it being more Glasgow than the East Coast accent from Scotty's home town. Yes he was hyper but I think that suits the character.

McCoy was another highlight for me.

Was the first Trek movie I've seen in the cinema and am itching to find out if they will do a follow up (I hope they do). Well worth going to see at the Imax, the extra cost was worth it for the quality of picture and sound.

The graphics in the movie were great, not too clean like I find alot of CGI, I normally find they can detract by standing out to much like a shiny cartoon but they just got it right.

Only negative for me was a few moments when I couldn't stop myself thinking of Syler cutting heaRAB open (so did my husband).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

Seen it today-fantastic escapism and a new dawn for Star Trek. Unbelievable effects and brilliant cast. Just might have to go and see it again.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

But it wasn't just any stranger. It was Mr Scott. Despite his continual pleading, this is a man who can alter the laws of physics. In his own worRAB, he is a miracle worker.

Getting past the fact that you need a code to eject an engine core would be child's play to him. Heck, the man can transport a grapefruit from one planet to the adjacent one (though, sadly not a dog) so what's a warp core code to him?

Or you could put it down to the fact that he is a qualified and commissioned Starfleet engineer. He might be a stranger to the ship, but not to the fleet. No reason his security codes wouldn't be valid and no necessity for us to see him enter them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

he looked so much like chris pine

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

As I mentioned on another thread it's ironic that Pegg got lumbered with it given his public scorn of Jar Jar

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

Indeed, you could put it down to any of those factors.

Or, you could instead put it down to the fact that forcing Chekov to enter a security code was purely devised to have a cheap laugh at the swaping of V and W in his "Russian" accent and that after that scene they had no more interest in security codes

Star Trek

I saw the film last week and I'm debating whether to see it again soon (or hold out for the dvd)

anyway my views....

I think the "best interpretation" of the TOS crew had to be Karl Urban's McCoy, Zachary was close (to the pilot version of Spock) but not quite there for me. Chris Pine's Kirk was good, following on (or before) WoK's reinvention of Kirk's cockiness.

IMO - the modern Star Trek lives (or dies) on how the films reinvigorated the series.

I love how Pike is used in this film, though his age all wrong (regardless of the time traveling)

I don't really have a problem with the coincidences. There are no worse than the convenience of George & Grace being set free into the wild where they wouldn't be missed - if a passing Klingon warbird picked them up

I agree Vulcan part should have had more emotion, although that could be ironic (in an Alanis way)

I loved the noRAB to the original seres like Sulu's fencing skills and Uhura's roommate

The only downside was the lacklustre Nero, he wasn't as good as Christophers Lloyd or Plummer, let alone Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

still I'd give the film 8.5 out of 10

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Trek

They already confirmed the sequel was in the making. The suits gave them the go ahead before it even opened! It's the second one where the crew will come into their own. The end of this one definitely leaves you with the feeling that this is just the beginning. I didn't want it to end where it did, I wanted to see them go on a mission with Kirk as the Captain proper! Roll on 2011 (or whenever it comes out).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information