Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What's the best horror film you have seen ?

I'm not talking subtle, psychological horror here !
    What is the nastiest, goriest horror film you have ever seen ?
    The kind of film which is so gross you think you're going to be sick ?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think there is inherently a 'psychological' element for any film image to be effectively emetic.

Once whilst bored and looking for such things as you allude to on Youtube, I came across selected 'juicy' bits of a 90s Japanese thing called 'Naked Blood', about people driven into a drug-trial induced, sexually-charged auto-anthropophagous mania. The one image I couldn't get out of my mind for days afterwarRAB was a young lady banqueting on various bits of herself; specifically, her dessert - stabbing herself in the eye with her fork, and then proceeding to masticate upon and ingest it - all in lingering, technicolour close-up detail.

Anybody can rip pig intestines out of a stage cadaver and throw them around the screen and the like. The 'gross' effectiveness of seeing something like that however was down not only to the special effects and the extent to which the detail of the event was depicted, revelled in and lingered upon; but also the fact that it was so relatable to - we all have eyes, and we're inherently squeamish about how soft and violable they are. Likewise, her beef curtain and nipple-chomping didn't have the same effect as, not being a lady, it didn't really 'connect' that much with me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The biggest misconception about Texas Chainsaw is that the acting is OTT and it's more funny than scary.

The movie was made as comic-horror,hence the dialogue between Cook and Hitchhiker,the scene where Hitch cuts himself,Franklin falling out of his wheelchair etc.

Hooper crafted it as subtle comedy horror,but potentially ultra disturbing at the same time due to the atmosphere,relentlessness and cheap,documentary style feel.That's what makes it a cult classic - that it has a good sense of humour.

His sense of humour is evident in the 1986 sequel,making a total spoof of the orginal,instead of a raw follow-up.However,he failed the second time around.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The acting isn't OTT its plain dreadful. I can see that it's a pretty well constructed film but you can see that these are kiRAB who have little to no acting experience and it shows more than in any other cheapo "cult" film that i've watched.

Sleek

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The grossout one is probably Hostel - that was a bit like a hammerblow to the sense, especially as I'd not read any reviews or anything to psyche myself up!

Overall horror - I'm not sure, there are so many different sub-genres it's impossible to pin one in particular down. If I was forced, then it'd probably be between The Shining and the original Dawn of the Dead.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Fly is seriously disturbing,and the makeup/effects are still impressive,nearly 25 years later.

The first half of Elm Street is genuinely very creepy,and Freddy has never been more frightening.Robert Englund was superb in that scene where he kills Tina.Unfortunately,the movie falls to pieces towarRAB the end,and the comedic sequels took something away from it.

Candyman is my pick for best horror ever.I've never heard anybody say a bad word about it,and the whole urban poverty backdrop is still very relevent (and scary).

Saw 3 was pretty gory.

But I actually fainted the other week whilst watching the opening scene of Saw 4, but to be fair I was ill, well convalescing at the time!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That part in The Fly II made me cry too !
    I too think The Fly (1986) was brilliant.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Fly sequel was just dire in contrast with the first.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really effective horror films usually have a large psychological element, for example the original 1963 version of 'The Haunting' - what you don't see is scarier than any special effects. That aside, I think I'd go for 'Evil Dead' and 'Hellraiser I and II', also 'WΔZ' - not strictly speaking of the horror genre but has some very nasty, gory moments in it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information