Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

Does anyone else bemoan the lack of really good dialogue in movies today? The total dependence upon action? I would love to see some views on the old movies that you remember for the sparkling dialogue, regardless of creaky sets!
    "Now Voyager." Who could forget Paul Henreid, on learning that Bette Davies' elaborate jacket is not hers..."so your wings are borrowed?"
    All about Eve...any more suggestions? Don't these oldies leave such films as "War of the WorlRAB" in the dust? AND I 'M NOT THAT OLD!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

i love all the great 90's movies:

Romper Stomper
    Lock Stock
    Trainspotting
    Pulp Fiction
    Reseviour Dogs

etc, 90's was great for cult classics

oh but classic,classic films id say A wonderful life

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

I've got to admit that over the past couple of years or so on Sky, I find myself watching TCM and Sky Cinema more than the movie channels that show recent releases.
    I've also discovered how good some of those old stars were. Richard Widmark has become a fave of mine and he's probably at his best when playing a thug. I caught him with Sidney Poitier in No Way Out (1950). Widmark is brilliant as a vicious racist crook.
    Or Detective Story (1950) with Kirk Douglas- a gritty cop drama that felt like it could have been made in the '70s. One of the things I love about some of these old films is that they can be surprising in terms of the subject matter they deal with. We take for granted that they've been making hard-hitting films way before the '60s.

Also, for me, a film like Arsenic and Old Lace with Cary Grant easily stanRAB up to any of the best comedies made today and I can't see anyone beating Grant's performance in it.
    Or the wonderful 'Road' Movies with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby.
    Or the excellent Night of the Hunter with Robert Mitchum in his best role...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

Yes, thedoctorr, I too have been delighted by the channels you mention. For instance I recently caught "The Rose Tattoo" with Burt Lancaster and Come back little Sheba. The quality of the acting and the writing you don't come across so often these days. I mean, you do, but the emphasis is on action sequences so much.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

I'm a bit of a film noir buff and recently caught Build My Gallows High with Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas- absolutely excellent. And you're right, here the dialogue is great, the pace is tight and satisfying without the need for big explosions.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

Would you count the films of Fritz Lang as film noir? I really loved "Clash by Night "with Barbara Stanwyck.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

Breakfast @ Tiffany's -Absolutly wonderful .

Animal House - Funniest movie i ever seen

The Great Dictator (charlie Chaplin) - its a lighthearted punch in the arm of Hitler.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

Haven't seen Clash By Night in absolute years, but I caught Lang's The Big Heat not too long ago with Glenn Ford and a nasty Lee Marvin- top notch stuff. It's great to wach films that are gritty and have a kick without the need for the excessive violence that seems to be the thing nowadays.
    Although not a Lang movie, I'd also recommend Rogue Cop with Robert Taylor as a bent cop out to avenge the murder of his brother. It's a great film noir with Taylor in his best role, in my opinion.

oldies but goodies

I'd say half of the movies in my top 20 list were made before 1980.

So of the best being Psycho (1960) (or anyone by Alfred Hitchcock for that matter), Marry Poppins (1964), The Sound of Music (1965), Rebel Without a Cause (1955), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane (1962), Breakfast at Tiffanys (1961), etc...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oldies but goodies

Yes, it doesn't matter how many times I see "Rebel without a cause" It blows me away every time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information