Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The**OFFICIAL**Voice/Singing Help Thread

Ok, I want to improve the tone of my voice. I'm fine with pitch. I would say I hit the correct notes more than 95% of the time. My voice sounRAB awful though.

I guess what I'm asking it if it's possible, or will I always be stuck with a crappy voice?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

alright ill give that a whirl soon.. thanks for the advice.. but can i ask how loud an unmic'd scream is supposed to be?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I generally drink some warm water and warm down, then have some more warm water and my voice is fine. Although by the time my voice would hurt, it would be after yelling, not singing/screaming/rasping how i normally would be and I would have been done for the day.
    After show fun does that =P

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The way I started singing was playing scales on an instrument and singing with it. Get the tonic down so you can hold it forever and than go up and down the scale. Using sol feg is also really helpful. Go up and down scales (do re mi fa so la ti do) and other patterns too(5ths: do so, re la ect.). Up and down triaRAB seemed to help me the most (do mi so mi do, re fa la fa re, ect.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lets not forget that we are on the net. If practicing is getting uncomfortable or if consistent practice doesnt seem to get you anywhere it might be time to seek some one on one. All I can do is keep trying to repeat what I've said in various ways to make it easier to understand. If none of what I've posted around here works for you then you might need something a little more personal.

Is it possible to just have a bad singing/screaming day? I mean, sometimes when I scream I just plain out suck. [Today is a good example.. it's worrying me.] And other days I just ****ing kickass. Shouldn't I be able to just scream at the best of my ability if I'm doing things correctly? I did a 5 minute warmup, [what I usually do] and have been drinking a lot of water and my screams are just so ****ty today. It's pissing me off because I sort of have an interview type thing. A friend of mine wants me to scream for him to see if I'm good enough to join his band. It's pissing me off because I just don't want to have a "bad" screaming day, they day I go to scream for him.

What am I doing wrong? Uhg.

Also, one thing I've noticed is when I'm sick I can scream extremely well. It's weird. I think it's because of the mucus and stuff in my nose/throat, so it's easier to make a clean rasp. Maybe now that I'm not sick anymore I just sound like ****?

Uhg, HELP.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone care to help? Isn't this the right place?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to add another thing, thats my point exactly about the Melissa Cross scream. What she does is weak and quiet. It can be made to sound more powerful with effects and cupping the mic for a boomier sound, but its still pretty weak at its core. Her students in the videos are a lot more powerful all the time. They have each done their own thing. I can almost guarantee each of them started by doing it the 100% wrong way through experimentation. Once they got the sound finally just from copying other people, they started a career. Eventually, their voice started to fail them so they went to her for training. She was able to teach them correct vocal habits (non screaming related) that they can then apply to everything they sing and they are fine now. Thats why its important to not focus just on taking "screaming lessons".

Be like them in a way. Keep copying until you get the sound you want. Dont be stupid about it and lose your voice or bring on a lot of pain, but at the same time dont hold back and be scared of pushing a little. Once you get the sound you want, start working on applying the things you'll learn with Mark in lessons to your regular singing and your screaming, and you'll never have issues again.

Theres no exercise really thats going to get you exactly the sound you want. You have to make that first, and then you can make it safe.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes, death metal voice.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Merkaba. I've read most of your pro-scream and growl threaRAB now.
    They're very usefull, but here's something I recorded before I started reading your threaRAB:

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...W3U0VJLRDFLDTF

It does irritate my voice if I over-push it. Thank god I didn't when I recorded this with my Webcam mic on Audacity... I didn't even warm up back then when I recorded this, but I think that it doesn't sound too bad... It's me growling some lyrics from Cannibal Corpse's nothing left to mutilate.
    Can you like say how it sounRAB? Give your opinnion? I'm 15 years old, male (ofcourse :P). I can go lower,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information