Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 let downs

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

Fuck hour-and-a-half-long albums, seriously. As much as I enjoy TMV's past work, I get tired after a while. The length of this one is perfect...whether it's a soft album or an intense one.

Totally...and like I said before I like this album and it's a nice change, but hope the next one is a bit more intense and/or experimental, and not softer. And the same length.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

While I do like this album, I agree. It sounRAB like someone slapped some Anathallo instrumentals down and added some cheesy Bible proverbs about cookies, foxes, and shit over it. I think they peaked at Brother, Sister, where they found a clean folk sound without alienating their post-hardcore roots.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

how do people even listen to Miley ****en cyrus

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

So you had higher expectations, she let you down?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

Taking my cue from this thread: http://www.rabroad.com/merabers-jour...tml#post771516, I thought it would be good to gather all our dislikes in one place.

What's disappointed you this year musically? Here are a few of mine:

Probably their worst release of the 00's. Not inherently awful but still a huge let down. The hour long 1st C.D has barely any standout sections and is a rehash of musical themes that PT have done better before. Couple that with a production that is hardly dynamic and you get probably the biggest letdown for me this year. The CD came out last month. It got a few plays before I went to see them. It hasn't had an airing since. Damn shame.

Pure Reason Revolution have slowly gained an audience enamoured with their multi layered harmonic Prog Rock that was structured well enough to tick all the requisite boxes yet remain original and refreshing in a market that has it's detractors. So what do they do after making massive strides with their previous 2 releases? Make an Electronic album and a damn poor one at that, so devoid of anything memorable or distinctive that one could almost weep. I guess one could see the reasoning behind it- poor sales and an audience not exactly lapping up their music but to make a complete about turn and fail so bad is beyond bewilderment. Another band bites the dust.

The Mars Volta- Ocathedron. By all means a progressive band should always try something new but this acoustic album is poor beyond belief. It's not even GOOD acoustic music. Bland, uninspired and totally forgettable. A major let down.

His earlier release Roadkillovercoat blew me away with his unconventional flow and beats that dipped it's toes in many genres and what worked so well was the individuality and catchiness of the album. It inspired me to go back into his back catalogue with Fear Of A Black Tangent proving more than equal to Roadkill. such a shame then that Jhelli Beam is the complete opposite and seemed uninspired and lazy in comparison.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

Yeah initially I didn't dig Brother, Sister that much because it was yet another step away from their hardcore roots, but I've come to like it a lot. I think I still like Catch For Us The Foxes better though. [A->B] Life was my favorite but I've mellowed out a bit so I guess I consider Foxes their peak.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

Just because your songs aren't accessible doesn't make them worthwhile. Somehow the Lips, caught up in the post-partum depression of their last blooming failure, decided to go the anterior route and produced an annal of free-form synth noodlings. I didn't find it abrasive or unusual, just inescapably boring. Apologies Wayne.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

God yes Thanks!

2009 let downs

I quite like The Mars Volta's Ocathedron. I think it's a refreshing break from the ear-fucking they usually give us. Not that I mind the ear-fuckings. It's just as I said, a refreshing break. Curious where they'll go next.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

2009 let downs

I agree that Hell's Winter was his peak.
    That album was so terrific. And "Movies For The Blind" was pretty awesome too.

And then we have Depart From Me.
    Hopefully, he's just in an "experimental" stage, and can rebound from this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information