Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers

Down From Dover

written by Dolly Parton in the early 60's (when she ruled the world)...but her producer would not let her record it...saying no radio station would ever play a song like this and it would ruin her career.....she finally recorded it and it was released on her 1970 album 'The Fairest of Them All'.... according to Dolly this is one her most requested songs when performing live....and in my opinion is one of the greatest examples of story telling in song there is

[YOUTUBE]aEaIL26dN4c[/YOUTUBE]
    Dolly Parton - The Fairest Of Them All - 1970

in 1972 Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood got back together and recorded their second duet album 'Nancy & Lee Again'....they recorded the first cover of this amazing song....but adding the male perspective to a horrible situation....Hazelwood's almost gruff and uncaring voice and almost monotone vocal delivery is perfect for a man who abandons his pregnant lover....and Nancy really brings forth the emotional nightmare... especially at the end when she practically breaks into tears...the light almost 'groovy' music i feel just adRAB to the atmosphere of the song....this version was sampled in 2004 by The Go! Team

[YOUTUBE]f2wU_ptxn7c[/YOUTUBE]
    Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood - Nancy and Lee Again - 1972

in 1993 shock/noise artist Boyd Rice (NON, Wold Pact, Boyd Rice and FrienRAB) and the beautiful Rose McDowall (Strawberry Switchblade, Current 93, Death In June, Sorrow) got together after touring Japan together and decided to create a concept band called 'Spell'...in which they both express...in their own special way...their love for old pop songs....one of the covers they did on their only album 'Season In the suN' was a cover of Nancy and Lee's duet cover of Dolly Parton's heart wrenching song.....this was the first version of this song i had ever heard.....and since Rose's voice already puts me near cloud 9....after paying attention to the lyrics i was really taken back....and thus had to hear the original(s)

[YOUTUBE]7-iQehfh4-4[/YOUTUBE]
    Spell - Seasons In the suN - 1993

in 2008 60's pop icon Marianne Faithful released a cover album called 'Easy Come, Easy Go'...which contains all kinRAB of great covers from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club to Morrissey to Neko Case...but it opens with a cover of Dolly's 'Down From Dover'....with her somewhat 'weathered' voice...and adding a bit or intensity to the music....this shows the haunting nature of this song....and i think also shows its lasting ability

[YOUTUBE]WOXBlaEvGKQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Marianne Faithful - Easy Come Easy Go - 2008

*edit
    so sorry i forgot to rank them!

Dolly Parton takes the cake and is the bees knees
    Spell comes in second...mainly because i love both Boyd and Rose
    Nancy & Lee in third just for their matter of fact approach at the subject
    Marianne Fathful in forth...well because i could only find four covers

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

House of the Rising Sun

covers:

1. animals!

[YOUTUBE]mmdPQp6Jcdk[/YOUTUBE]

i honestly believe this performance is the rubric for musical perfection.

2. frijid pink

[YOUTUBE]t40INnb6DnY[/YOUTUBE]

the darker/fuzzier versions of this song are best!

3. leadbelly

[YOUTUBE]y5tOpyipNJs[/YOUTUBE]

this one's kinda fun though

4. cat power

[YOUTUBE]W14ykOFXIg4[/YOUTUBE]

this one was between cat power/joan baez/nina simone/dolly/dylan but i've got a soft spot for chan plus it's a more interesting version

i ****ing love this song

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is different than the normal cover thread because you rank and review the covers of a favorite or classic song.

Here's mine to start things off.

The Orange Blossom Special started out as a famous passenger train and ended up as an even more famous bluegrass song. Born in an old alcoholic fiddler's bedroom late one night, the song grew into an anthem of bluegrass and showcases what the genre is all about.

Many banRAB throughout the years have covered the song and I want to review some of the more memorable performances and rank them.

ORIGINAL
    [YOUTUBE]Ii2KuFGvres[/YOUTUBE]
    Chubby Wise is the fiddler who claims to have created the song but there is a dispute who originally composed the song between Wise and the Rouse brothers. It definitely is very basic and doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it provided that great classic bluegrass foundation for all these other guys to expand on and make their own.

1st Place
    [YOUTUBE]nAmrKeyeHKA[/YOUTUBE]
    Johnny Cash always had a bit of a soft spot for the old rarablin' train song, so its only fitting he would do this song justice. Even though this piece is normally performed as an fast paced fiddle instrumental, Johnny Cash changes the rules a little bit and opts for a slower paced melody, sings the old and nearly forgotten lyrics, and uses a harmonica in place of the fiddle. I really think he knocks it out of the park because he gives the song his personality but keeps all the important parts like that you want to hear like the chugging train beat intact.

2nd Place
    [YOUTUBE]eCBdiutb-50[/YOUTUBE]
    I feel Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs have perfected the classic fiddle instrumental. You wouldn't even think this was the same song as Johnny Cash's version. Its the fastest, most fiery, and most groomed out of the bunch. IT WILL MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN. This band is the most skilled in general and it shows the difference between a bluegrass band playing the song and a country and western band playing the song. The bluegrass guys just know what they are doing.

3rd Place
    *song coming soon*
    Bill Monroe. You gotta love this version because it sounRAB OLD AS THE HILLS. Bill Monroe's got that voice of a feeble 90 year old hillbilly and the bit of banter they do in the middle is priceless. 'Birmingham, the best ham around' har har. :laughing: Its pretty slow and the sizzle and bang just isn't there as much as it is in the others though.

4th Place
    [YOUTUBE]arJ5lAE-k3Q[/YOUTUBE]
    This is an admirable version by Mickey Gilley's band the one thing it's got that the other's don't is that it enRAB on a bang where the others just kind of fizzle out.

5th Place
    [YOUTUBE]8QRxOFR7ylI&p=DC73FFCFF55C98B1&playnext=1&index=39[/YOUTUBE]
    Charlie Daniels is claimed to be one of the best fiddle players in existence. But I was dissapointed with his cover. Its was like he was trying too hard. And it was too fucking long. Sorry Charlie.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dear bob. and crushedblind,
    you two were sent from heaven. Wonderful posts. A+

VEGAN, excellent contributions. Even though seeing Hilary and Haylie Duff in a 2nd place position in this thread made my eyes bleed, you're Red Red Wine more than made up for it. :thurab:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

For christs sake, don't everybody post at once. :laughing:

I think I'll go back to hiding in my journal now.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

someone should probably rank covers of Helter Skelter. I'll start it by putting Motley Crue at #1. You can continue from there.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, this is actually one of the better thread topics that's been thrown out there in a while. I'm surprised no one has contributed so far. I'll throw mine down soon.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

by the way

Always have loved and agree with placing.
    I don't know why but I just by listening to this song for a long time and not actually seeing the frontman, I had always pictured him to be 7 foot tall, in his 40s, and missing some teeth. I can't believe such power can come from such a pipsqueak. I'm in love with him.

Loved. Thank you.

Loved. Thank you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh goodness thank you Satchmo this thread definitely could use your emergency CPR. :laughing: I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm gonna cheat for now and throw down a post from a thread that I started from a journal of mine a while back:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information