Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Awake Review

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

I do find it kind of funny that the album is called awake , judging from what i`ve read about what you say it`s just the sort of album that would send me to sleep

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

I'd say the effort was gargantuan...to say the least. :clap:
    My favourite rating has to be 2.2/10...don't know why, it just is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. WHAT NOOBS!!!!! Probably the funniest thing I think everrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Holy ****! Where do I begin?

I'll do it in order. I just hope that they're not all just joking.

"Right off the bat, the author is wrong. Those drum bars at the beginning of 6:00 are NOT in an "odd time signature." They're 4/4 with syncopation. Obviously, this author doesn't know what he's talking about."

ROFL times a million. Listen to the hi-hat noob! Hahaha, if you think that's 4/4 I don't think you should be allowed to live for much longer. Listen really carefully, and I know it obviously goes into 4/4 a bit after, but come back to me when you figure out exactly what he plays he, if you give up I'll tell you.

"This guy is an idiot that part is played on keys!!"

Okay fine, **** I got ONE thing wrong out of like a billion things, but it ****ing sounRAB a **** load like a guitar, I bet if you asked a random person, they'd say it was a guitar too. But okay I admit I was wrong, I ain't perfect, but this certainly doesn't make me an idiot or lose credibility obviously. You should get banned for that, because I got banned for something a lot minor.

"I particularly like the 3/8, 3/8, 2/8 time signature changes bit...ummm its called 4/4 with some accents lol"

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! And besides I said a 3/8,2/8,2/8 FEEL! So that doesn't mean that that's exactly how they wrote it, but it's a decent interpretation. Listen to it you ****ing noob.

Okay here comes my favourite and most rofl part ever!!!

"OK so i have the complete scores book for Voices. And there is no 3/8,3/8,2/8. SO this guy was jsut retarded."

HAHAHA ROFL *** LOL NOOB ROFL. I was talking about THE SILENT MAN, THE ****ING CHORUS NOOB!! And you need a book to tell you what the time signatures are, and yet I'm the retard! ROFL

"umm, no, those would be POWER chorRAB"

ROFL again!! So is there a rule that power chorRAB can't be eerie?!! ROFL

"well, yeah, i guess petrucci sounRAB pretty good there, but i dont hear any other strings "

You can't even hear the strings! LOL! Biggest noob I think ever.

"no, the bass and guitar are playing the same thing and its NOT an arpeggio "

The ROFL's keep coming!! Look up what an arpeggio is, noob!! It's called an arepggio in unison! LMAO

"well, what WOULD a bridge find interesting?"

OH NOOOOO, YOU FOUND ONE ****ING TYPO IN LIKE 10000000000 CHARACTERS! ROFL

"no, that would be minor"

ROFL. No it's in major before it goes into minor. You don't know which part I'm referring to or maybe you're just an utter fool. rofl.

Actually this is my favourite ever part!!!:

"no, that would be a half step"

He said this after I said "a semi tone." ROFLOLMAO!@#!#!@#!@ He doesn't even know that a half step IS a ****ing semi tone (in the standard diatonic scale, of course)! ROFL NOOB!

"oh yes, now i see it; with distorted guitars"

HAHA I can't take much more of this!! I'm referring to the VERY(!!!!) Beginning. The first half a second. ****ING NOOOOOOOOOB! Bet you didn't even pick up on it, even after I explained it! rofl

"stop with the inaccurate arpeggio fixation!"

Stop with the not knowing the definition of arpeggios!!! Or maybe you don't know which part I'm referring to. That's even worse! ROFL

"man, if thats mediocre, i would hate to see poor"

I said mediocre at best. Or can't you read stuff inside parentheses?

"note how i tended to stick to objective things"

ROFL!! You gotta be ****ting us here. Half the **** you said was subjective...And the other half was wrong!! ROFL

"HE CHANGED THE VERB TENSE [...] but it did nothing to bolster his credibility or win new supporters to your doomed cause.

This is just plain hilarious but I'm certain it's a joke. But anyway, I didn't change the tense at all except when I finished the review and started making personal first person comments. And then he changed tense in the exact same sentence!! Joke, but if not, biggest noob so far. ROFL

"since when was the superfast erotomania solo 'easy' to play?!"

I didn't say THE ENTIRE album is easy to play, noob to the max. I praised the proficieny of that part, try learning to read maybe?

"Okay, I just had to read his Voices review. Man that was stupid, silly little complaints and he doesn't even know the song well enough to know that it's not about Schizophrenia."

OUCH, how erabarrassing!! One of your favourite songs and you don't even know what it's about! Or maybe you just don't know what the definition of schizophrenia is. rofl. And why did you capitalise that, noob?

"when his review has such abysmal errors"

Wow, I didn't realise that opinions could be errors. I read one of your laughable reviews at metal-arcives.com and I found some funny things that I would call abysmal errors:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

Tallon you can still post the link just take the www off.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

I enjoy what was it, the first 30 seconRAB of music to that song and then the rest was a waste of 8 minutes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

What a terrible band to waste such an in depth, well- written review on

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

That was exactly my response to some topic called "Ironic DT moments."

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

They're definitely one of my favourite banRAB too. I agree that Awake is a poor album. It just doesn't compare with their better music and I was disappointed with it when I bought it.
    I only know 3 DT fans and, like myself, their favourite albums are Images And WorRAB and Scenes From A Memory. Awake doesn't seem to be very popular. I think Train Of Thought is underrated though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

Arches Review of Dream Theater's Awake (1994)

Opening Comments

For better or worse, Dream Theater had decided to drastically change their tone for this record. Because of the relatively shorter song lengths in general, many feel that this was an attempt for commercial breakthrough for the band. If this is indeed true, then it would seem that the band works best when they aren't constrained to the confinement of others' control - as we would soon see after with the commercial and critical disappointment Falling Into Infinity, and then the stark contrast success of the brilliant progressive masterpiece: Scenes from a Memory.

A darker tone than of the previous two recorRAB is evident throughout Awake. They achieved this through use of darker lyrics, LaBrie's tonal change and the use of bland chorRAB. The album is probably best described as plain heavy metal; it simply is a lot less progressive than the previous two albums. Images & WorRAB had the monster progressive metal epic: “Metropolis, Pt. 1: The Miracle and the Sleeper,” as well as several other classics which this album seems to be missing. Consequently, it doesn't really feel like a Dream Theater record at all...

Tracks

1: 6:00

The album starts off promising with a killer (but unoriginal) drum fill by drummer extraordinaire: Mike Portnoy. He then plays solo for four bars in an interesting odd time signature. Soon after, guitar hero John Petrucci enters with a slightly elegant arpeggio riff. After another four bars, enter master bassist: John Myung, who plays the two root notes on both the on beats. This is an interesting musical ploy, but becomes redundant quite quickly after repeated listens. Gradually adding layers is a somewhat over-used musical technique and has thus lost its affect on the general listener. When the keyboarRAB (Kevin Moore) come in with bland chorRAB you're left wondering if the chorRAB are actually going to go somewhere instead of appearing to just stay in the same three-range notes. And so this gives the listener only one perspective of sound to hear. By the 50th second it does indeed change, but the change is interrupted by extremely annoying voice over samples repeating “6:00 on a Christmas morning.” Other equally annoying samples are also taken from from the film "The Dead," which is a failed attempt to give the song any meaning. “I know all about the honor of God, Mary Jane,” is one such example of an inappropriate voice over. The song isn't about religion or God, it's about Moore's suffocation and pain - and by bringing in irrelevant names, it is just likely to confuse the listener. The consequence of adding in annoying artsy samples doesn't give the listener an actual impact on what the song's about, it just proliferates irritation.

After another four bars comes in excellent singer: James LaBrie. As soon as he sings the first word the listener is probably left wondering: “Why oh why did you change your singing style James? It was perfect on Images & WorRAB!” LaBrie now sings (as mentioned previously) in a more darker tone by slightly snarling particular worRAB (thankfully this doesn't last the entire album). Meanwhile, the rest of the band merabers repeat the earlier simple riff. After the first verse, there's a reprise of Petrucci's first riff which is accompanied by the others playing the same as before. However, this time it repeats a second time and Petrucci adRAB an interesting harmony, which is probably the highlight of an otherwise uninteresting song. Next is the bridge in which things get changed up. LaBrie sings “I may never get over, but never's better than now, I've got bases to cover.” This line is somewhat confusing, and the ending of it seems almost childish.

Verse two comes and leaves quickly followed by bridge two where the lyrics are slightly changed to “Once I thought I'd get over.” This is yet another simple musical technique which has lost any artistic value over time no matter how conveniently placed in the context. So far it seems Dream Theater are pulling clich

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Awake Review

Don,

Why such a brief review?...Lazy?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information