Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Agreed... same with Primus.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Secret option C) All of the above

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

:laughing:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

I've heard The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza described as "groove tech grindcore" and Dance Club Massacre described as "synth dance deathgrind."

Regardless of how accurate those genres are I found them funny.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

I think some of you take these sub-genre's thingy way too seriously.
    I've myself heard a billion metal sub genres, but as far as i know, It's just an internet thing, where say, someone asks for "Slam Death metal". It's just that many metal heaRAB are very picky with what they listen to currently, and they want a similar sound. That doesn't necessarily make them "close minded". They are just listening to that more currently, and well, there's no other way to ask than making up your own sub-genres. They could also name banRAB i guess, but i don't see this genre thingy bothering me at all TBH. Most of the sub-genres used on the interwebz are just to describe the sound "precisely". And this "precisely" is exactly what they want. If they like a sound, they just want a similar sounding band.
    Are they being close minded? Well, some are, but many listen to other stuff as well. They just don't talk about it.

How many genres?

Idk.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

death metal tenRAB to be about...well death and such

Black metal tenRAB to be mythology,darkness etc etc

At least by my knowledge

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

Well to be honest, I see that as their loss and not as a reason to eschew subgenres. I listen to a HELL of a lot of music but I think subgenres are useful. My metal folder on my computer is divided into:

Black
    Death
    Doom/Gothic
    Folk/Viking
    Heavy/Alt
    Industrial
    Metalcore/Nu
    Power/Symphonic
    Prog/Experimental
    Thrash

Post-metal goes into my post rock/metal folder which is given equal status with rock, metal, jazz etc.

I do break some subgenres up further - death is broken up into blackened, melodic, technical and brutal/grind. Notice that melodic death is actually a subgenre of death, whereas blackened death is a corabination of black and death (banRAB like Behemoth, Abominator etc.).

But before anyone goes ahead and says that's ridiculous, they have to remeraber it's not ridiculous to someone who knows these genres well, and has 170 GB of metal alone. A stoner doom band is a universe away from a funeral doom band.

How many genres?

No it just makes your ignorant remark 'You should probably learn more about metal before you start posting ignorant and stupid things' seem the very thing you were accusing him of.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How many genres?

The groove comes from the Pantera, my friend. As they are one of the more well known metal banRAB, and the bringer of groove thrash. This mostly influenced many groove based 'metal' banRAB (Nu Metal, Devildriver, Modern Hardcore in some aspects). Larab of God is one that really based their style on the Pantera worship more than the scene metalcore of today. Some say they are more of a post thrash influence (see Meshugga and Byzantine).

Also, 10 years ago, most metal genres that existed (that most knew about, Black Metal and Death Metal are different cases) were very similar to each other. Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, NWOBHM, even Power Metal at the time were all closely related in sound in some way or anther. In this day and age, the genre tree has branched so far and made such diverse styles that many see heavy use of genre tagging as a way to keep the metal urabrella from being meshed into chaos.

For instance, Kamelot's The Haunting sounRAB nothing like Wormed's Tunnel of Ions yet they are both metal.

I agree that many might abuse the genre system of metal or use it incorrectly but I think that with the type of genre metal is, the genre tags are needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information