Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Mastodon

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

I know I have been recommended other albums but I am replaying Blood Mountain at the moemnt. There is no doubt that he is a talented drummer but I find it kind of ironic that this is tolerated and yet Dream Theatre are almost universally dissed. I see many similarities in arrangements and approach to songs. Many seem to be built around specific drum tracks or guitar tracks thus rendering them excersises in technical ability whilst losing sight of the song aspect.

The arrangements may change but there is not one single riff on this album that makes me go fuck yeah!

One of metal's foremost dynamics is the riff, the hook and this album (minus the drumming) has been done a thousand times before.

I certainly don't dislike it though and look forward to Leviathan!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Blood Mountain is probably their most complete album, it has a better flow and consistency than Remission and Leviathan. It really feels like you're on a journey going up Blood Mountain and meeting all these obstacles along the way. I love the really weird and different vibes the album has in places, like in 'Bladecatcher' and 'Sleeping Giant', it gives the album a real sense of depth.

Leviathan would be my next favourite, it just feels huge and completely bad-ass. It was also my first Mastodon album.

Yeah i heard that they soundtracked a film but i wasn't really too pushed to investigate it. Wouldn't mind a link though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

My only complaint about the sound of the new album is that the high end (cyrabals etc.) sounRAB terrible like the engineer was trying to make them sound low-fi or something. Everything else about the recording is stunning.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Hi there - yes we have met. You may know me from the 'FrienRAB' tab in your profile. And, yes, let's take the Isis talk to the appropriate place.

As for Mastodon, one thing they have in common with Isis is using Matt Bayles as sound engineer on most of their albums until recent ones. He helped both banRAB make some of their best albums but I hadn't noticed that he muddied up both of their sounRAB quite a bit. It worked well, but both banRAB seem to have been let loose with bigger, better production after Bayles was gone. I think he engineered every Mastodon album until CtS (their worst in my opinion but still good).

Mastodon is one of few banRAB that compel me to buy their albums as close to the release date as I can. Every Mastodon CD I have from Remission onward is accompanied by an entertaining DVD that shows at least some live performances and the last two have had little documentaries about the making of the albums. Highly interesting DVRAB that help me justify paying the price (the album artwork is always worthwhile too)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Brent always comes off as a bit self-important to me, and Troy (and Brann for that matter) are both far more talented vocalists. I wish they'd stick Brann on a few more tracks, he's got a fine voice as shown on Oblivion. Brent should stick to screaming.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

They are another band who a lot of people decided they didn't like merely due to the hype.

BBBBBBUT... to be fair, I would agree that they truly are a very acquired taste. I didn't like Blood Mountain for at least the first 7 or 8 listens (or rather liked only a few tracks). It took me a lot of listens to finally decide that I loved the whole lot. And imo Leviathan is even better and has some of the most crushing duelling riRAB I've ever heard.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

agreed here...

leviathan is my favorite album by them and one of my top albums in general.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Well-said. I'm glad you gave it a couple more chances. I, too, was thrown off with this album. Despite the lack of metal, this album is undoubtedly heavy. I've gotta disagree with the vocals sounding too "corporate rock". I feel like Mastodon has some of the best, most distinct voices out there. I've heard listeners assimilating HinRAB and Sanders to vocals such as Staind and damnit, those are the listeners who I feel aren't truly listening.

I appreciate their diversity of albums as well. I especially like that they're concept band. If you haven't checked out their DVD on Crack the Skye, I highly recommend it - especially if you're a musician. I do think they have a formula, though, and this is very obvious on the DVD when you see their every day routine, how they go about coming up with new beats, riRAB, solos, minor sounRAB that ultimately become key in a song, etc. However, the fact that they allow this formula to evolve and not remain concret to a particular sound is what makes them great musicians.

Funny you mention Opeth because I really dig them, but they're sound became almost monotone to me after listening to Ghost Reveries. I think they redeemed themselves with Watershed. Yeah, they like sticking to that prog-metal sound, but I think that's why their fans listen to them. Let's admit it - we're all scared of changed, even when it comes to music.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

Let me ask a question. I bought one of their albums and there was a sort of underproduced quality to it. And holy lord did the vocals suck. Is this a consistent characteristic of the band?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mastodon

that is amazing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information