Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chevelle: Best Record

Before i go off talking about this, which i most certanly will, in time, answer this question since it is the entire reason we are arguing in the first place.

How do Chevelle and Staind sound SO similar?

I mean apart from the givens and simple ones resulting from being in the same genre...what else is there?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not going to go into naming individual qualities, but i feel there overall sound is somewhat different than other banRAB.

To that im sure you will reply "Well they sound like every other mainstream band now."

In retort to that, i will just say this. I have not listened o many other banRAB in which I enjoy there lyrics as much as i do Chevelle's. Also i can not think of ONE of band that has that same sound as they do. The closest i can think of is Tool/Perfect circle, which is similar sounding because it is there main influence.

edit: Also i like there broad ariety of sounRAB throughout there albums/songs. Songs like Panic Prone, Bend the Bracket are a nice hange from the usual faster heavier sound. Then there are faster moving songs with what i think are very good drum beats such as Another Know It All and Brainiac. There are many other different varieties which i will not go into now, but i encourage you to give them another chance if you are judging them based soley off thre single or bigger songs such as the Rd and Vitamin R which are by far not the best songs they have put out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Staind was probably a bad example since they're acoustic but when they kick into the more heavy parts they're very similar, though Chevelle tenRAB to be faster and less melodic.Similar guitar tones, both have "afflicted" vocals, lyrics dealing with depressive issues, in addition to the similar tones (on the electric guitars) all their songs are typical power chord rock with the bass mirroring the notes. Songs like the Red are more similar I guess but they still are pretty similar at points, the other banRAB I compared them to are more close but I guess thats why you ignored them.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any fans of this band?
    Man, I think they're awesome.
    They lost their bassist, Joe Loeffler, on their most recent album, Vena Sera, and yet, a stellar effort nonetheless.

I still haven't heard their first album, Point #1. I'm wondering if that's something worth getting. If it's as good as their 3 follow-ups, I suppose it is. Choosing their best album is very difficult. They all have some very heavy tunes along with melodic tunes, and each album has a different feel to it. I'll have to go with Wonder What's Next? just because it's probably their heaviest and good to rock out to. Every song on it is very good.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The guitar styling is different, Elliotts finger picking Conors strumming and the vocals are different as I've already pointed out. Elliott's are hushed and quiet Conor's are the opposite. Stop editing posts several minutes after I reply to them, it's annoying. They are pretty similar because its just acoustic guitars and voice a naturally but typically when people talk about Conor Oberst's music they're referring to Bright Eyes because you know, that stuff was actually released.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Major suckage... dont like... oyyy (more unintelligent babble)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm comparing the vocals to Tool. Very few banRAB, if any match the music of Tool. But the vocal styling is very very similar.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You know if you're going to bother backing up your opinion on why they're original why say it all? I hear nothing original in their sound, they're your typical nu-metal/hard rock band. List the reasons to their originality or don't call them original.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think you can figure that out for your self. The same reason i would call another other band original. If you want a list here it is:

1. Many of the beats in here last 3 recorRAB are very creative. (at least in my opinion, coming from 8 years of drumming) gallops..etc

2. The singing/vocals are thought out much more than most other banRAB. ex: The singer NEVER rhymes because he feels that takes away from the lyrics creating only a catchy song that has no sustenance.

3. Have not directly copied any other banRAB in there sound. And i don't think labeling them as "just another numetal band" is fair or does them any justice at all.

If you'd like i will make this list even longer. But for times sake i will stop.

edit: And to reverse it and put you in my position, how about Elliott Smith. I think he is just another average singer/songerwriter/multi instrumentalist. There were people such as Conor Oberst that came out with music before him that sound VERY similar, therefore making Elliott Smith just another average musician.

And keep in mind this isnt trying to Bash your taste or anything like that, just to help clear up the point i am trying to make

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nothing compares to vena sera easily their best album

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information