I am for gay marriage, but I like confronting people with different viewpoints. I like to see if anyone can argue my point.

A gay marriage opponent said this to me: "Homosexuals have the same rights today as heterosexuals. The law does not allow either of them to marry someone of the same gender."

I said this: "For quite some time -- in the 1950's -- blacks had the same marital rights as whites. The law did not allow either race to marry someone of a different race. This was mainly due to eugenics.

After that was said, they could respond. I would like to notify you that I do not think that the current fight for gay rights is as dire as the 1960's fight for African-American rights. I simply believe that they are comparable.
"wristshot" - Pegs? Seriously? That's the best argument that you can come up with?

That does not argue my point.
"Truth Hertz" - "Whining" is not synonymous with "arguing a point".
"C Pinkston" -

“If they would drop the "marriage" part, and settle for a State-recognized”

Civil unions, in their current form, cannot provide all marital benefits. If you mean taking “marriage” completely out of law, then I would have to agree with you.

“sociald” - My point was to argue with his point. I am searching for a viable response to my response. I am doing this because he didn’t give me a response.
“NathanSensation” - Marriage is believed to have pre-existed religion.
“Ian” -

Benefits - Promotion of monogamy within the homosexual community, slight improvement to the economy, more children being raised by married parents, greater acceptance of these individuals, granting them their constitutional right of "equal protection, etc.

The burden of proof lies on you. You must prove a negative side-effect to combat the positive.
“Master Chief“ -

Is your point that sexuality is not race? Because gender is also not race. But I believe that an oppressed and mistreated gender is comparable to an oppressed and mistreated race.

What is “oppressed and mistreated”, to me, is comparable to another thing that is “oppressed and mistreated”.