Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ponyo to open on over 800 theaters.

Always the best policy. I for one don't like to let the opinions of other people dictate if I will or will not enjoy a movie.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Even though I'll give Ponyo my eyes and ears, I think the reason that some people, particularly as of recenty one person on this thread, may like everyone in the voice cast BUT the actors playing the two main characters is because over the last two-three years, we've been force-fed with Hannah Montana this and Jonas Bros that. I may dislike them due to their increeasing popularity but besides guest starring on their older sibling's TV shows, the younger siblings need something to add to their acting resumes. Who knows? Give them a couple of years and people won't be seeing Frankie Jonas or Noah Cyrus as little brother and sister to the biggest icons since Barney, Big Bird, Snoopy, and Elvis. They will have their own talent, their own agents, and even their own lives to live out the way they want to and not having to live every single day in their older siblings' shadows.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Rust I have to bring up Bolt, which I don't know if you saw or not or even want to see. I found Bolt to be a good animated movie. Anyway it stared Miley Cyris, actually it didn't who role was pretty small but tha adRAB made it sound like she was the star. Anyway dispite having the hot Disney Channel star it only did moderatly well. it did decent but given that it was a very good movie it could have done much better. It lost to the flux vampire movie Twilight. The very audence that would have watched the movie for Miley were too busy obsessing over a sparkly vampire.

So what is my point? if Miley Cyris can't help a good movie what hope does her brother have with an anime in only 800 theaters. your fears are unfounded.

At least watch the movie and see if it's good. Don't hate it because of the voice actors, that is what dub haters do.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think they're pretty good dubs as far as dubbing anything goes, but I think that the original Japanese track is still better for most Miyazaki movies. The only real misfire, IMO, was the English dub for Porco Rosso, where Michael Keaton and Cary Elwes were both gravely miscast in their roles. In fact, I think the dub would have been better if they had switched -- at least Keaton could probably do a better cowboy accent. And, to be fair, Miley Cyrus did a more than credible job in Bolt, so fears that she'll get Hannah Montana cooties all over Ponyo seem misguided to me.

I can't really say that I'm all that impressed at the 800 screen rollout, though. True, it's more than any Miyazaki movie has ranked to date, but it's a pretty far cry from the 3,000-4,000 screens that a tentpole animated movie would do. Igor was a movie with no budget from an indie studio nobody had ever heard of, and it managed a debut on 2,300 screens. Heck, a colossal turkey like Delgo managed to end up on more than 2,000 screens. FWIW, Spirited Away got the widest US release of all of Miyazaki's movies, but that was still only 714 theaters. Most of his other movies were only on 300 or less.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ugh, I can't find a single Ponyo theater listing for the entirety of Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Looks like our part of the country gets left out of something AGAIN.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

He said he was already planning to, 2 posts up.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wasn't fond of Porco Rosso as a film, but I felt that the dub made the movie better for me.

And in agreement with johnny, yes, it rocks that Dola, who stole the show alongside Muska in Laputa, will be returning for another Ghibli dub (I don't expect it to stand out this much, though.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lolz! Either I'm in the first stage-denial-or Moviefone has got some pretty screwed up info, claiming that the only theatre in an unlimited perimisis around 29440-SC-is all the way in New York.

......I've gotta keep up this search-I WILL SEE THIS MOVIE IN THEATRES, DAMN IT!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have different issues with Bolt. Mostly, some precentage percentage of the royalties Travolta got from that movie went to the Church of Scientology, but that debate is for a different thread.

I admitted defeat though, so we can drop this.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

No, its nothing like that. The two of them are being shoe-horned into the movie so Disney can say to the fangirls "Hey, look, Miley Cyrus' and the Jonas Brothers' siblings are in this movie!" I'm not going to give my money to a studio that uses a cheap tactic like that to continue the stupid Disney music brand.

And, just so you know, I'm pretty much opposed to having famous actors do voice work anyways, because good acting doesn't necessarily translate into good voice acting. There are some actors who are good at both acting and voice acting (like Mark Hamill or Stephen Colbert), but for the most part, its a gimmick to sell tickets and keeps a movie from living up to its full potential.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information