Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Death Note US Remake being written

There's no reason to think this won't work. Death Note is one of the few manga properties out there that is REALLY difficult to screw up. It is basically a supernatural crime drama. Something that is very Western. It is also a suspenseful and twist-filled piece of work, which is something Americans also love. Not many changes would need to happen in order for this story to work.

They might move the story to America and make name changes but other than that I don't think there could or should be any other significant changes to the plotline.

Who wants to bet that Mark Mancina will be commissioned for the score?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Simply from what I've read, I wouldn't mind that. Luke is a good change - while "Light" is perfectly fine, well, most people don't name their children Light, so...

...and while the dead mother thing isn't QUITE good, as long as the main theme of Light on a misguided crusade for justice is kept, that's fine. At its core, Death Note is about a kid who thinks he's much smarter than he really is. If Luke is trying to make the world better because his mother was killed and he thinks the wicked need to be punished, that's not too far removed from simply wanting to "fix" the world. Just gives him a motivation.

Misa is entirely unneeded. Ryuk is a pretty interest aspect of the Death Note mythos, but... you don't really NEED him. He's there for Light to bounce ideas off of, really, and for comic relief. I wouldn't mind it if they dropped him, honestly, because it would be REALLY easy to mess him up.

Overall it sounRAB like it could work. Luke tries to take justice into his own hanRAB, L comes onto the scene and tries to stop him, they play mind games for a while, and Luke realizes that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Would it be as good as the show, on basic plot? I don't think so. But hey, I'd watch it.

...now get Efron on call ya suits. >.>

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ugh....Still say I won't work...Wait, is WB making this film?...Ok then, there's a decent chance it might work. But the setting must be in Japan, the characters, theme, and cuture are very Japanese. I just can't see it happening. (Ha! Look at me. I'm kind of acting like a "True Fan" boy. . Man, I need some help.)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Efron isn't a bad actor by any means. I would like to see him try the calm and diabolical Light Yagami. I mean Jesus people he's only been acting in movies for a few years, it's not like we've really seen enough of him to establish whether he can play the serious roles good or not.

Besides, if Death Note is a good movie, do we really want the rep from the Dragonball movie to screw it over and it not to make up it's budget? Having an actor like Efron in it would probably do more good than bad if you ask me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oi. More damned pretty boys I have to suffer through.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed. Zac Efron wants to break away from his stereotype and typecast in musical/dance movies. Hence why he turned down a role in the movie adaptation of Footloose. He's actually pretty decent actor from what I've seen. Sure I don't like HSM, but at least I can see that Efron is a good actor and can work as Light Yagami. After all, I'm sort of against typecasting myself.

The original live action Death Note movies are pretty good. I myself prefer them because it has L coming up as the hero in it, rather than Near and Mello. Beside as other said, DN is one of the few movies that could work since it is also bound by our reality, set in our world rather than a made up Earth like Dragon Ball was. Beside I can see people getting into Death Note because of Zac Efron being Light.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How family friendly can you keep a magically aided murderer with a god complex?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why do I get the feeling that I somehow knew this was going to happen?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I still think that's LinRABey Lohan in men's clothing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

While I want the names to be the same, I don't care if the city is somewhere in Japan or not. The story can pretty much be adapted seamlessly into any culture.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information