Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    a1234567

"rebound reflux" from going off nexium

Hey,
    So i'm writing here to see if anyone else is experiencing "rebound reflux" from going off a medicine like Nexium.
    I went on it in April because I was constantly clearing my throat, coughing, couldn't breathe, etc. I did not have heartburn then.
    Every time I tried to get off of it after that I had terrible heartburn and went back on. I thought something was wrong with me.
    In Septeraber I had an endoscopy. Everything came back normal.
    I decided that my doctor telling me to just stop the medicine wouldn't work, so I decided to ween myself off. I first took it every other day, to every three days... once a week, once every two weeks..
    I just hit the one month mark. Went one month without taking it. I was doing okay until a few days ago when the heartburn came back, plus I've had a gross taste in my mouth. Has anyone tried something similar? I want to try and tough it out and see maybe the heartburn will only last a week or two as my body gets used to the acid again. Is this a bad idea? I just don't want to be on the drugs anymore. I don't think I needed them in the first place. I think I had seasonal allergies instead since I was recently diagnosed with them.

FLFLOWERGIRL

Greg--That's good to know, I never knew that it was such a short period. I am only trying to cut down so that I can absorb more iron. I don't know if I could ever completely get off of them. I am scared of BE. What do you think? FLFLOWERGIRL

a1234567--Are you back on PPI's now or still trying? Every other day is better than full time. FLFLOWERGIRL

FLFLOWERGIRL

I really don't know. I have been on PPI's for 9 years. I now have a hard time absorbing iron so I am trying every other day right now it has been about 1 week and I feel great righjt now. I would try something OTC liquid to get you through the tough times. If it is too bad you may have to go back on them at a smaller dose at all times??? FLFLOWERGIRL

FLFLOWERGIRL

2 weeks later and still doing well on every other day Zegerid. FLFLOWERGIRL

java junkie

Have you ever been tested for food intolerance? I had constant acid in my throat for years but when I found out I wasn't digesting certain fooRAB and removed them completely from my diet my acid left in about 6 weeks. It now doesn't return unless I go back to the original fooRAB that I removed. I used Thinkrite for my test. I'M not sure if it is more complicated than that for you but that's all it took for me.

a1234567

that's great.. feel better!

a1234567

hmm 4-5 days isn't too bad i guess.. i wonder if those days of really bad reflux can do any damage though..just because it's more intense than any other heartburn i've ever had

gaugreg1x

I have been on Prevacid for over 10 years with a switch to Nexium in between. Going off of any PPI will probably give you acid rebound for 4-5 days per my GI, doc and personal experience. Greg

a1234567

i actually went one month without them, got some bad heartburn one morning so i took one pill, and now i'm going to try and go 5-6 weeks and then maybe take a zantac if needed

and no.. i haven't been tested for food intolerances, only food allergies. i cut EVERYTHING that affects reflux out of my diet, all preservatives, food dyes and additives.. etc. i eat completely natural these days, so that way no doctor can tell me my food is making me worse!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information