Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    tryingtorelax

Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

Hi- Just wanted to say thank you for your post - I tried the DGL, cal/mag, along with aloe vera juice 2x/day and enzymes with every meal and I've made it a week without my PPI. Gas-x is also relieving pressure and getting rid of the pain, go figure. Your encouraging story got me going in the right direction. Now that my esophagus isn't irritated I just have to find out what fooRAB are possibly causing problems for me. Thanks rosebloom!

Flyerfan

Rose, are you out there?
    Was wondering how you are doing. Is your situation the same?
    I have been off PPI's for about 3-1/2 months and I WAS doing fine. The past few days, however, have been not so good. I have been having mild to moderate heartburn and popping the DGL and Tums and I'm thinking about taking a Zantac right now. I'm still seeing my ND about this and want to consult with her about why I would be having a setback. It's frustrating...I was doing real well and I kind of started eating more carbs and sugar and BAM! there's the burning. I just wonder if I'll have to rely on acid reducers the rest of my life.

rosebloom

I see I last posted here about a month ago. It has not been a straight line no matter how many remedies I try. I seem to be going through a bad spell right now. I have had two or three days of pretty constant moderate heartburn, so I have gone back to Zantac 150 mg twice a day to relieve the burn and irritation. I had been doing OK with periodic heartburn every so often, but tolerable. But I seem to have experienced a setback in spite of my modified diet, DGL, magnesium supplements, liquid calcium, ACV, etc. There is nothing I have done to bring back the heartburn. That is, no alcohol, no sodas, no caffeine, still a fairly low carb diet, etc. So, this is frustrating.

I think this must be the progression of the natural disorder when one is without medication. It is frustrating but I am resigned to keep working on it and pretend PPI's don't exist unless this really gets out of control.

This is definitely not a linear thing. It seems like one has perioRAB of less symptoms and then relapses like the one I have been experiencing over the past couple of miserable days. I finally had to accept the situation and take the Zantac again because my stomach was burning for hours at a time.

I am jelous of those who post that they have been "cured" by any particular thing, i.e, ACV, Magesium, etc. I don't seem to be experiencing such luck no matter what I try.

I'll keep posting periodic updates until the post is closed, but this is where things stand today approximately seven months from the time I stopped taking the PPI.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get "this" under control again in a few days.

Rose

gpinzone

Rose

When you had your scope done what did the GI doctor find?

Flyerfan

You hang in there, Rose. I can see it gets you down at times. If only it could be easy for everyone.

For myself, I am taking it slow. I went from Aciphex to Omeprazole and I'm doing that on a 2-day on, 1-day off for a while. Then I'll go to every other day for however long that takes. My days off I don't need to take anything unless my anxiety is at the "red" level, which it seems to be these days. I, too am taking Magnesium, liquid calcium/VitD and sticking to my modified diet. If I need anything for a little burn I go for the DGL or even Tums and try to stay away from Gaviscon because of the aluminum.

Someday we'll both be on here telling our story how we beat this thing and helping others do the same.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am actually in the same situation. I actually posted last night before reading this thread
    about how to get off ppi's. the rebound reflux is just horrible. I did some research myself and apparently alkaline rich fooRAB is also a good idea, i will try that and some of your suggestions as well. My concern about the acv is that if i'm not mistaken i believe it can cause damage to your esophogus. Have you hearRAB anything about that?

gpinzone

well here is a little update since my post. I have had tightness in my throat starting 2 nights ago lasting all of yesterday and this morning. I have started to take zantec again yesterday and will continue today and see if that helps. I took 2 75mg pills yesterday oNE at 5:30pm then another at 7:00 then a 150mg at 10:00pm.

I also went to go see a kinesiology chiropractor yesterday and told me that I was breathing with my chest instead of my stomach. I am trying to work on that. He also did some adjustments to some trigger points for my lower intenstines and neck.

This morning I woke up with less tightness but still there and took a 75mh at 6:45 am. I will take 75mg before each meal and see what happenRAB. Even though Ive been feeling better maybe I should not have stopped Zantec so quickly.

The whole reason I stopped nexium and changed my Diet was because I couldnt take the tightness in my throat. Man I hope it stops. I can't take this. At least I dont have much mucas or burning.

Anyone else having issues with tightness in throat?

rosebloom

Thank you for your kind post. I think we are here to help and support one another. Reading other people's posts and their struggles with this disorder has been the only thing that has kept me going this far without running back to the PPI's. I have not been able to receive much support from my family doctor other than to offer me yet another PPI or add another drug to deal with the side effects of the PPI, and I am sick of that.

What others have posted here has been incredibly helpful to me as well.

Flyerfan

That's what I have accepted myself. I know the way I was eating before was not healthy at all and I'm kind of glad I've been going through this. I know that sounRAB totally off the wall but it has made me see that the kind of food I was putting in my body every day was "trash". I feel better about what passes my lips now. It's not like I will never have an ice cream or piece of candy but I'm resigned to the fact that it will be an occasional treat and not an everyday occurence....and I'm totally OK with that. As a matter of fact I have this "treat" that I make with peanut butter, honey, raisins and almonRAB, refrigerate and cut into little bars...that satisfies me and it's all natural. Yumm!

rosebloom

I am still here and my experience is pretty much like yours. I have been off PPI's now since January and experience ups and downs. I can have many days of no heartburn and then days like today when I have been pretty much feeling nauseous and experiencing burning on and off all day. I think this is the nature of the disorder. I took two Zantac today. There are days when I take none and no remedies. Some days I can cheat a bit and others not at all. I have accepted that this is the way it will be and I have chosen tnis path in order to, hopefully, save my bones in the long run. We will see what happens in another year when I go back to the doctor and have another bone scan.

I still use DGL and apple cider vinegar and Zantac, just no PPI's. I try to cut down on carbs, no sodas and very little alcohol and never any alcohol or pills on an empty stomach. But I am never symptom free for more than a few days at a time. We have a weak LES and I guess it works sometimes and not others.

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving and we will keep working on this.

Rosebloom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information