Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    rosebloom

Getting off PPI's and Acid Rebound-What has worked for me- Four months later

I had my scope done two years ago and it was "normal" other than some minor irritation and reflux. I did not have suspicious or pre-cancerous cells, Barrett's esophagus or H-Pylory. I think these were the potential problems they were looking at/for.

Rose

rosebloom

Well, after two miserable days, I have had a pretty decent day today. Nothing like a heartburn-free day to lift my spirits again. I'll keep at it with my ACV, DGL and calcium/magnesium supplements and trying to avoid the known triggers. I can put up with the periodic heartburn if at least I know it will not be a daily thing. I did not take Zantac today. I guess I will save it for those bad days and take it as needed.

Thank you for checking in and your worRAB of encouragement.

Rose

LMF123

Hi Rose,

Thank you for posting your update. I too have been struggling of late. I will update my thread shortly. I am glad to hear you had a better day today. It really is a challenge to get through and it affects so much of our every day lives. I hope that you find a way to manage without the PPI's. It is very tempting to resort back to them. Please keep us posted and I am wishing you well and good health.

Flyerfan

For those of you who have come off the PPI's, have you experienced a lot of gas or gas pains?

I'm actually going for an abd. ultrasound Monday just to make sure it's nothing else. I am either getting excessive gas or I'm getting normal gas and not passing it. I know when your stomach is producing more acid you can get gas. Tomorrow it will be 2 months since my last PPI . Lately when my stress level is up, that's what happens. I can worry about any little thing and right now it's my vacation coming up in one week. I'm really trying to stay away from any food that is gassy and I'm not eating an enormous amount of fiber so I think it's the stress causing it because I can feel more reflux at that time, too. My ND said it's not uncommon to experience GI distress as that is the area we are working on. Still, it's very unsettling when you can't pass it and it hurts.

Flyerfan

Good to see your progress, Rose. I am now hopeful. I'm planning on seeing a Naturopathic Doctor to get her take on all this now that I have my EGD results and everything is all normal. He did however biopsy for H Pylori but I had a blood test for that which came back negative so I'm not expecting anything there. But ya never know.

As far as the ACV....I'm no doctor but I've done my share of research. A normal LES is supposed to open only for food and burping. I've read that when it senses stomach acid, it remains closed. Maybe that is how and why the ACV works. Just a theory. I'd like to try that myself but it makes no sense while I'm still on the meRAB.

Here's hoping you continue to feel good.

LMF123

Hello Rose,

I just wanted to thank you again for your insight and taking the time to document your journey. Your suggestions and worRAB of encouragement have really helped me with my own situation. And you right...so many people start off here in desperation and then we don't hear the end result. More than anything, I am glad to hear you are feeling so much better. I wish you peace and good health! Be sure to drop in once in a while.....hopefully I will also have a positive end result.

Be well.

Marylebone

Thanks for the info. I had an endoscope 2 years ago due to burning in my chest and there was a raw spot. I drank some Carafate? and took ppi's to get rid of it but then everytime I stopped the ppi, I got bad burning in my throat (which had never had before the ppi). When I learned that ppi's can lead to osteoporosis, I quit cold turkey. That was 10 weeks ago and I know the "rebound" can last 3 months or so. The past 10 days have been better as I am really watching what I eat, sleeping on a wedge pillow, and taking Gaviscon before bed. I have a colonoscopy in Noveraber so will talk to my gastro doctor then.

Bumpkinto

This can be a sign of acid leaking into your throat. I get that myself.

ladybuglove

Everything is going okay except the 3mth nexium ordeal I'm not digging its causing a lot of pain and side effects for me. So I think its back to the herbal cocktail I mean if i got from atrophic down to mild .. maybe the herbal cocktail will continue to reduce it all the way to zero. I will post a thread up the full treatment for hpolyri (although I posted this treatment on a hpolyri thread a while back-my very famous blog journal entry on a treatment used that received great massive amounts of positive comments and success) all the way down to the herbal cocktail for acid and inflammation that I used and use (gastriits and Gerd) for everyone as soon as I get the chance .. and free from work

Sharenlee

Hi Rose

Thanks for your very informative report. I just figured out that the Aciphex I have been on for 2 years is causing me severe muscle and joint pain. I tried to stop once and the heartburn was horrible. Now that I know that it is most likely rebound I am goihg to try your suggestions. You may not even post anymore on this topic but if you do - please let me know if you are still going strong.

Sincerely,
    Sharenlee

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information