Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nocontrol33

"What do I do about tramadol addiction?"

Secrets, I appreciate your support and for some reason I don't feel as stupid for doing this to myself when I hear I'm not the only one. I know people talk about addiction all the time but it really means something different to have someone share their personal story with you. Am I making any sense? I can't believe I am even talking to anyone about this but your posts helped me feel like I wasn't alone.

I thought I was doing a good thing getting of Percocet by taking Tramadol since it is supposedly "non-narcotic". I was only prescribed 1-2 every 4-6 hours but since it was "non-narcotic" and I couldn't take the percocet anymore I just started taking A LOT of the Tramadol. Now the withdrawal symptons start alot sooner than on Percocet. I get the cold sweats and it feels like electric shocks through my body if I wait even a few hours. I sometimes have to take some during the night or I wake up with horrible w/d's. Isn't that ridiculous? Has anyone else had this reaction to Tramadol? (it is also known as Ultram)

granny0

Hey emsmom,

I've been thinking about you lately. Glad to see you posting again.

I'm sorry to hear of your tramadol experience. You had a guardian angel the day you had your seizure. Not only could you have been on the highway when it happened, but could have had the girls in the car with you.

I've also taken tramadol and but the last time I did that, I ended throwing up and feeling shaky. That was enough for me. I decided enough of this crap! - I am done chasing the buzz. I take Zoloft, Clonazapam and a low dose of seroquel now and it seems to be working for me. I had been very depressed and anxiety through the roof. I'm finally starting to feel "normal".
    I hope you are on the mend too.

Take care,

JB

nocontrol33

I found this board about a week ago totally on accident but I have been reading everyone's posts and now I don't think it was an accident at all that I found you guys. I have felt totally alone in my struggle with pills. I started taking them almost 8 years ago for arthritis pain in my hanRAB (I was only 25 at the time) I started on Vicodin and was only taking one a day. That quickly moved up to a few a day because it really helped with the pain. I had 2 small children and it was wonderful to be able to take care of them so much easier, and they gave me so much more energy. Then they didn't work as well and I had to start taking more. I was moved up to the ES. Then to Percocet. I knew I had to quit taking them when I could take 20 Percocet in a day and I would still get pain in my hanRAB but I couldn't stand the w/d so I was basically taking them just to keep the w/d away and still had pain in my hanRAB so I was doubly screwed. I was able to switch myself to Tramadol which I thought wouldn't be nearly as bad to get off of but I can't even go a few hours without taking a handful. I have never told anyone my real story before. My husband and family know the trouble I have with my hanRAB but have know idea to the extent I take the pain pills. I can't even imagine telling my husband or going through the w/d. I have so much respect for all of you and I only hope that when I work up the courage to finally stop that I can be as strong as you guys are. You have a lot to be proud of!

emsmom

Hey granny!!!

So great to hear from you

Yes, I had a guardian angel with my that day, cause my girls weren't in the car. Actually, I've been having problems with guilt about the fact that they "could" have been in the car. I've been thinking "what if?" I'll start a new thread to talk about all that, but some of this paragraph pertains to nocontrol as well...

Nocontrol - think about the guilt I am having (and it's horrible guilt, let me tell you). I'm not trying to scare you, nor do I want to seem like I'm insinuating anything mean...I just want you to think "What if I had a seizure when my little ones were alone with me?"

Just think about it. I'm always here to support you, and whatever decision you make (regarding talking to your doctor or not), I'll support that too - however, I just have to say...I really think its in your best interest to seek medical help and begin a taper off of Tramadol - with a doctor monitoring you.

Good luck,
    Love emsmom

TaCot

You will be strong enough when you decide to do it. Everyone here is probably in awe with the amount of the strength they can muster. I too was taking pills just to avoid w/d's. My neck still hurt. You will get to the point where you are tired of that pill bottle, believe me. My PCP told me that admitting there is a problem is the best thing I could have done. We are all in the same boat and we are all wishing you the best. When you decide to do this, we will all be here for you too. Take it easy and have a great holiday.

Secrets1983

nocontrol,

Are you there? Are you okay? Just been thinking about you and wondering how the battle with tramadol is going? I worry about you....

Let us know you are okay! If you celebrate.. Happy Thanksgiving!
    ~Secrets

katlin09

No control,

What Lou has told you is very accurate. I took Tramadol for years, legitamitely, for Chronic Pain control, and when we decided to switch to a different med, had to be very careful with the weaning down of the Tramadol. You'll have to do this with the help of your doctor, if you relish you safety at all then you have no choice.

Also, if your arthritis pain is as bad as you say it is, have you considered going to a Pain Management Dr. to get on proper medicatio to get the pain under control so that you can enjoy your life more? As a CP patient myself, this is just a suggestion.

Good Luck with your journey.

nocontrol33

I'm here - my head is just spinning. I guess I'm going to make an appt. with my Dr. after the long weekend. It all just seems so surreal right now. Thanks for checking up on me. I'll let you know what the Dr. says. I hope everyone has a nice Thankisgiving!

dorskin

Just a quick note there on the Tramadol. My dr told me that more than 8/day and you are a risk for a seizure. I was given Tramadol when I was first coming off of OC and I found that taking more than 4 got me a lil Vicodin like high. Looking on the boarRAB here you will find a nuraber of people that curse Tramadol, saying its worse than regular opiotes.

Good luck
    d

nocontrol33

Do you know what a Pain Management Dr. would switch me too? I am very scared to stay on these anymore but I'm also scared to stop. I'm scared of the w/d's and I'm also scared of the pain. My hanRAB get so bad I literally can't pick anything up or hold anything. How can I live like that?

If I did go to a PM Dr. I would probably have to tell him how much I'm actually taking for him to really be able to help me, right? Can I get in trouble for taking that much? I'm really starting to freak out about this!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information