Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NotPerky

Free at last (of oxycodone)!

Hi everyone. Well, tomorrow is 12 weeks without oxycodone. I was taking the oxy for a legitimate pain condition. It started with 1 pill a day and ended up being the equivalent of 12-15 per day. I'm happy to be off them, and some things are improved -- for example, my appetite is coming back and food no longer turns me off. However, my pain is bad, and believe it or not, I am STILL feeling that overall "flu-like" feeling. It would be so easy for me to just cave now, and go back on pain meRAB. But I remeraber feeling addicted to them even when I was only taking ONE a day. I don't know what I will do....part of me wants to see how I feel at the 6-month point, but part of me wants to give up and just get rid of the pain. I know this is not the pain management board, but I did just want to follow up and let you know I'm still oxy-free....but struggling.

Secrets1983

NP,

I am so proud of you worRAB can't not do it even justice! You have accomplished such a difficult challenge.

If this makes you feel any better.... I did my taper and it was hell but once I was done actually taking that last pill (I dropped off from 10mg Oxycontin to nothing at my last decrease) I actually thought the wd would be horrible but after I took that last pill, got that last little high..... the wd just kept getting better and better.. I felt way better than I did when I was on my taper.... So hang in there! It will get better as you know and you have already proven your great strength. I am very proud of you and you should be very proud of yourself! Some people in their lifetime could never accomplish something so scary and daunting!

The thing that kicked in the worst for me was the depression and cravings..... If you look back at my posts from way back I was always posting about cravings and what not but posting helped. It did... Getting it off my chest was the best medicine to fight against the cravings.. The depression will pass too..... Just stay strong and of course... KEEP US UPDATED!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers! I hope this message finRAB you with peace in your heart and strength in your mind!
    XOXOXO

reachout

Way to go, NSP!!

Proud of you and the accomplishment. Keep on pushing to find yourself and you will never want to go back.

Hugs
    reach

NotPerky

Hi all....well, it's been over five weeks' clean. Last Friday was my "Magical Day 30", but unfortunately, it didn't quite pan out as a magical day. It was just another day of feeling like carp. Even now, at 5+ weeks, I'm still having residual issues. No cravings per se, but just the same ole' physical symptoms like lack of energy, and muscle stiffness/tiredness/pain. I won't bore you with the details, but whoever said this can take 60 days or a year, whatever, could be right. On a brighter note, I am very happy to be mostly rid of some WD symptoms like hot flashes, anxiety, and sneezing. I'm very happy to be able to go places and not worry about pills. I'm very happy to wake up in the morning without being in a cold sweat and reaching for a pill.

I just need to get rid of this lingering flu-like feeling. It's taking longer than I expected, but then again, I was on oxy for 5+ years. Anyhoo, I just wanted to check in with you guys and let you know that I'm still plugging away here. I don't have the energy to write often, but I am still reading your posts and thinking of everyone.

mel486

Glad to see you posting again NotPerky. Also, glad to see that you are still drug free, but it bothers me that you still have the flu-like symptoms. Have you talked to your doctor about that? I hear you about the pain and whether or not to take the pain meRAB. I tried teh Nucynta which didn't work and then the oxy that was prescribed was some new generic brand which gave me unbelievable headaches, so that was a good reason to stop taking it (again). I wish there was some magic answer to resolve the pain while not taking the opiates. Hang in there!!

reachout

Hey Not Perky

You will be feeling perky again in time. Keep practicing all the tricks and using all the tools discovered in withdrawal to continue to help you. Balance will come again to the brain and body. Push back hard against the depression and the pain... these things abate as we move along. You have claimed sobriety... hold on to it with all your might now. Keep drawing strength from those spaces deep inside of us.

Be proud of the task you have accomplished! It is no small feat to make it through withdrawal. No siree, Bob! In my mind, it is a monumental feat! You have done it and now are ready to move on to do more great things with your life.

So proud of you
    Love
    reach

mel486

I am so glad that you are starting to feel some relief!!

Secrets1983

Hey NP,

I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! You have come so far. Remeraber that honey. Living with chronic pain has got to be so miserable and I feel so terrible for you. Like i have been told several time on here... only you can know if you need to take the pain meRAB or not. It's amazing that you have gotten to week 12, I know how hard that was.. I have been there!

I am sorry you are in so much pain though. Do you see a pain management dr? Are their other treatment options out there for you? I am not sure what you all suffer from but it was just a thought.. I am sure you obviously have thought of all of this.. I was just thinking outloud.

I really care about you. If you are in so much pain that it's justifiable to take the meRAB, that is your call. However, if the addict part of your brain is screaming at you trying to justify it.. keep fighting. I slipped the other day and I feel like dirt over it. I don't want you to regret this decision so think it thru and also, remeraber you may change your mind again in the future if you decide to start taking meRAB again and have to go thru this hell all over again.

I support what you decide 100% and I really think your strength is amazing and inspirational. You take care of yourself friend!
    XOXOXO

reachout

Hey NP

Honey, it really does take a significant amount of time to truly have the body and brain restored. While it is frustating, it is a process that neeRAB time. I guess you might think of it as a kind of pregnancy.... the new life takes nine months to grow and be ready to function fully. That is kind of like recovery.... takes time to grow and become a fully functional part of ourselves.

From the time I began tapering, in Oct 2006, I would say it really was a year before I was truly tuned up and running better. Oh, there is improvement all along the way ( as you have seen in your shopping trips). It is uplifting if we can be really aware and mindful of that kind of progress comparison. There will come a time again soon where you will not be identifying yourself as in withdrawal or seeking recovery as the mainstay of your life. You will rediscover the many, many important things about yourself become again who you are meant to be. I am already seeing pieces of you that are new to me. Chuckles.

This is one heck of a journey, isn't it? When I look for the good in thois experience, I always come to the part where I have met such special frienRAB.

Take care
    reach

mel486

Oh NP! Like you didn't have enough going on in your life that you need more stress! I feel for you and I hope that your son will see the light and stop the drugs. Showing that you can do it is a positive model for him. What you did was right and he has to realize that he's hit rock bottom before he can get the help he neeRAB and lower the stress in your life. Keep you life on track. Good Luck to you!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information