Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Off-label" use of medication to help with opiate withdrawl symptoms

I've noticed that there are, or have been a nuraber of people that have a problem with opiate addiction and withdrawal. Something that I came across in reading, and accidentally in personal experience is that there are at least two medications out there (essentially they are the same medication, just the drug concentration varies) that work very well in lessening, NOT stopping, but lessening the withdrawal symptoms due to opiate addiction.

The two medications are Pregabalin (Lyrica), and Gabapentin (Neurontin), both of which can decrease the severity of the symptoms that are present from opiate withdrawal. The true upside of these medications is that as long as they are only taken for the couple of weeks (maximum) while detoxing, the likelihood of becoming addicted to these meRAB at all are almost Nil, which is absolutely essential.

It might be something to mention to the Dr. for any of you planning on quitting opiates.

Wendy88

wow thanks for the info! i have neurontin on hand for a back issue and this info is good to know. that med saved my life when nothing else helped (including the percocets that i'm addicted to)....
    Personally I have taken neurontin for 6 months at a time and had no addiction issues at all. In fact, I didn't know that was possible so thanks for the warning.
    thanks very much!

jwynn

Interesting, I'll have to look into those drugs. The only drugs I was given in rehab for withdrawals (besides my prescribed medication from my psychiatrist) were:

Clonodine - as needed for blood pressure which was checked 3-5 times daily.
    Trazadone - 50mg to put me to sleep at night
    Ativan - 1mg up to 3 times daily (this was at the nurses discretion upon my asking, they were not required to give it upon request).

I guess Trazadone was the only "off label" as it is technically an SSRI anti-depressant. However it sure is hard to sleep that first week.

Wendy88

some mentioned a BP med... i take atenolol - its a BP med... but it's used in my case for migraines... does that help? wondering if that may have made some of the wRAB easier.
    i know the muscle relaxors i was prescribed helped me through rough spots... Soma.

wrencher99

Thank you for the info,just may have to see my dr and what to tell him i need these for?

jwynn

You definitely want clonodine for your blood pressure in/during your withdrawals. It seems to do more than just BP stuff, it helped me with my cold sweats and some anxiety.

I have used only soma during withdrawal, they helped, but the important thing is you blood pressure, any dr should take your BP and prescribe clonodine to you.

jonnstar

Other useful meRAB are the blood pressure pill clonidine, the anti diaheeha medicine Imodium and some of the sedative antihistamines (such as Benadryl or Phenergan)

Wendy88

thanks for the info!
    i went through my withdrawl. Im about to enter my 26th day having only used once. but if i slip up and need help during a w/d, im really happy to know my extra neurontin will come in handy!
    FYI gabapentin is neurontin.
    - wendy

LVpokerstar

Gabapentin is also very useful for meth and benzo addiction.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information