Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    iwillwin

Oxycodone/Oxycontin dependence help please

I wouldn't ask a Dr. for Suboxone! My last Dr. told me that Subs are commonly used for pain, so, i thought OK, i'll try it (because the oxy's & roxy's weren't working too good) but thankfully my Pain Management Dr called me about MRI results, so i asked him about the Suboxone & he said don't do it! He told me to come in later that day & told me something most people don't know...If you are prescribed Suboxones, once you bring that RX to the pharmacy, you are red~flagged! Which means, whatever state you live in, if you try to fill any RX that is an opiate, it will come up in ALL pharmacy's computers that you are red flagged (cannot get any pain medications!) You are pretty much marked "an addict" for life.
    I would definately just ween myself off of them! Withdrawals suck, but the mg you are taking, you'll be off them in no time! I try to tell myself it's mind over matter, but it isn't fun~I am prescribed Oxy's 2X's per day & Roxi's 3X's per day and there are times i go out of town for the night and forget my meRAB & i start withdrawing, definately not fun!
    Good luck with it~You'll be fine, i'm glad you weren't in deep, some people are so hooked they are doing 10+ 80's a day!

michellemenace

glad to hear i don't know many people that have quit cold turkey so good for you yeah i don't understand why they give my roommate such a hard time about the carries.. its not like he's abusing the lorazepam.. he gets them from his doctor for anxiety , but i guess it doesn't matter. He's on 110mil of methadone and is trying to get off the lorazepam so he's able to get all his carries so he doesn't have to keep going to the clinic every day. From what i've heard -methadone is really hard to come off of too. I wouldn't know, because i'm not on it, but if its anything like coming off oxys then i can imagine it must be hell. Anyway, good to hear you're doing well. take care

jeffster

Yeah the methadone carries I was talking about are not exactly legit. I know people who use methadone because it's cheaper until they can get oxy. It's pretty terrible. I've heard the same thing about methadone being hard to come off, although it doesn't make sense to me due to it's incredibly long half-life.

I wouldn't say I have an incredible will, I was probably just on oxy for a short enough time and at a low enough dosage that it wasn't the hell that it is for a lot of other people. I actually feel like a bit of a baby that it was so difficult for me as I know people who are upwarRAB of 300-400mg per day for years. I'm so sympathetic to oxy detox now that I've had a taste of it.

As an update to my situation, today I went to work and felt nearly 100%. I still don't have much of an appetite and I didn't sleep well last night again. I'm still very restless but mostly only at nighttime now. I'm hoping tonight is much easier as I'm running on about 4 or 5 hours sleep total for the last 4 days or so and that's really hard as I've got midterms going on and work as well. I expect over the next day or so I will return to 100% but we'll see. I luckily haven't suffered any of the horrible depression I have been reading so much about, which I think is related to the short duration I was using.

I'm very grateful to all that helped me through this process, especially musicman who's advice I used to go cold turkey instead of tapering which in retrospect seems like it was the right decision.

jeffster

So I made a pretty stupid mistake a few months ago and started taking oxycodone recreationally. It's actually oxycontin, but since it's being crushed, it's just oxycodone.

Now I've been "reasonably" careful in the amount I allowed myself to use. I'm up to between 50-60mg per day, which I realize isn't a huge amount. I really want to stop and have set my mind to it. I can easily live without the high, so I don't think there's much of a psychological component. It's just the physical withdrawal symptoms. Now here's the problem...

I have a demanding job and am what most people would consider successful. I also go to school part time for a second degree. Obviously this is a demanding schedule, and I really don't have the ability to take any time off other than weekenRAB.

Does anyone have any tips for getting off this drug? Tapering seems to prolong the pain of withdrawal, but I guess it's the right way to go. Is it worth seeing my doctor about? Would they ever prescribe suboxone or methadone for someone taking this kind of dose? I realize it's not a massive dose, and maybe I'm being a baby, but any tips would be appreciated. Or similar situations/stories.

Thanks,

Jeff

bellaangel317

JeRABter...I have to be honest with you, you need to do what ever you have to do to get off of Oxy. My 29 year old Nephew struggled with Oxy for years and a on 9/2/10 he was found dead of an accidental OD one week out of rehab. Once you start abusing this drug and doing recreationally it gets progressivly worse, it cause psychological problems and take over your life where you wind up doing what ever you have to do to get the next dose. My Nephew Anthony has been in rehab several times for this, the last time was for a month but I guess he thought he could take what he usually took and it was to much after detoxing.... His brother has the same addiction and is on methadone and is now weaning off that, it's just a visious cycle. I say take a leave of absence from your job, put school on hold and check your self in anywhere you can for the minium 90 days. Please take this seriously, it has devestated my family we felt helpless when he was addicted and now guilty that we should of done more now that he is dead. ...also google Oxy and addiction, you cannot believe how bad it is to be on any Opiate. Good luck and take care...

jeffster

Thanks guys, I'll probably continue to post status updates through tomorrow and possibly Monday if nothing else to keep myself busy. I went for a walk because I was so restless which felt OK but I started feeling pretty sick so I came back home and back on the couch. Still eating and drinking lot's of vitamin water / gatorade / water. I've heard to avoid caffeine, but if I miss my daily coffee it gives me a MASSIVE headache, so I had one coffee today. It didn't seem to make it worse. I'm now approaching the 24 hour mark and honestly I don't think I feel any worse now than I did at my last post. I'm feeling like I may actually get some sleep tonight but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the replies guys. So far I'm glad I took Musicman's advice on cold-turkey rather than tapering. Get it over with. I honestly feel that without the restlessness it'd be totally tolerable. Such a weird feeling. I've had small bouts of restless leg or something, but this is like restless leg in my legs arms and whole body x100.

musicman3

Definitely cold turkey. I am going cold turkey next week after my relapse. I jsut am waiting to start vacation. I did cold turkey last week but i cant call in sick to work so I decided to go back on the percs until I am off on vacation. I was on day 4 last week and starting to feel better but my job is travelling and it wasnt safe to do that while flying all over the country.

I am at 50-80 mgs mostly on during 10 years. I never have taken more and never have built a tolerance, but I hate taking narcotics. It is no longer fun. I get massive anxiety from them.

Be careful with the benzos. Even though you said you didnt have a problem it is still a bad class of drugs and should be used sparingly.

jeffster

Oh musicman, also about your dehydration, I'm sure you've already tried the following, but in case there are any new ideas, they might help you. These experiences come from one time years ago where I contracted e.coli. I didn't know what it was and it was 2 days before I finally went to the emergency room (and another week and a half in the ER of utter hell). During the time before I went into the ER, I was vomiting or dry heaving every 3-5 minutes without a break. I also had the runs very badly. One of those "sitting on the toilet while holding a bucket" moments. Both of these things obviously are a recipe for severe dehydration which I knew was a possibility.

The great thing about water is that it passes through the stomach without being digested. This means that even keeping down water for a few minutes before vomiting will actually get you some needed water.

Try soups if you can eat at all. Jello is another great one as it's almost all water. Also ice cubes if you have nothing else. For me, there's something about the liquid being really cold that helps for some reason. Those giant freezies were a lifesaver.

For any extended period of time, water alone is probably not enough in that state. You need electrolytes. One thing I've always wanted to try is making gatorade popsicles or cubes.

musicman3

Not true. I was on suboxone for 5 months and I am still able to fill my percocets without issues whatsoever.

musicman3

You are doing well Jeff. 72 hours is the turning point and it slowly gets better. I was actually feeling a bit better last week, but as I said, I have had 10 days of a lot of work to do and it wasn't safe for me to continue the detox while travelling the country.

The restlesness is the worst. That is why I take as many hot baths as I can stand. I will be so glad to get this over with. I juts have to make it through 5 days and then I do ok. Even though I have the arabien and the xanax, they really do nothing.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information