i am nearly at the breaking point with my brother's girlfriend's dog. she is living with us and constantly whines over absolutely nothing. e.g. she doesn't need to go to the bathroom, she is fed 3 times a day on a schedule that she is well aware of (she gets the same amount of food as our larger ~90lb dog who is fine). her whining habits are annoying, uncontrollable, and seemingly aimless. it would seem that she wants attention, however, even if absolutely everyone within a 10ft premises is paying attention to her, she will STILL whine.
i am in college and i need silence/peace to study and actually accomplish things.

getting a shock collar/smell collar/noise emitter is out of the question as i have other animals that i do not want adversely affected by these odor/noise devices, and shock collars do not work for whining noises as far as i've read.

brother's girlfriend is an improper owner and we cannot simply give the dog back to her.

oh, and i can't just throw her outside, either, because she is "simple-minded" and we live in a region with many venomous snakes. there's also a hole in my fence, so she would probably run into the road and get hit by a car, because she feels the dire need to chase them.

i need to get her to STOP this habit, and am at my wit's end.
i am not a novice dog-owner; i have worked in pounds and daycares and generally know how to train/work with animals.

we do not own a crate. she was crated 24/7 as a pup by her previous owner as she was too much of a handful for them to deal with. crating would, more than likely, also instigate whining. she also refuses to be locked in a room by herself as she will whine the -entirety- of her stay. we've tried the "time out" training session. she WILL whine for over 45 minutes straight just for the sake of whining.

she gets more than enough attention by both the 5 people that live in this house and the other animals that interact with her.

she is too food-aggressive to be given bones. she will attack the other animals.

generally, no. she is not a good dog. she was also a terrible breed to choose for a first-time dog (chow and german shepherd). she has many undesirable habits such as biting anything in reach of her mouth, jumping on people, attempting to eat everything in si