Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    kiera01

"Hives" question

About a week after the birth of my now 3 year old, i developed a skin condition which for the past 3 years i have thought was hives. However, after viewing pictures of hives, i realise that this may not be what i have.

I do not get rounded, raised rashes as is typical of hives, i get either grouped or single long, raised welts that itch like heck, are often accompanied with swelling (if on my hanRAB, feet or face), last for about 30 minutes to an hour, disappear, but reappear elsewhere. It is often worse when i am hot or tired or emotional.

If i scratch myself, i break out in these welts, if i rub my face, my face and eyes swell up, if i bump against something, the bumped area on my body will immediately develop a welt or welts.

Does anyone have a clue what this could be. When it began, it was accompanied with asthma symptoms. Both sets of symptoms are getting progressively worse.

mart15

"Hives" question

I think you do have a form of hives called dermagraphism or "skin writting". I have developed it myself this past year. Could not figure out what was happening to me until I saw a TV show called "medical mysteries". They showed a girl who would trace her skin in patterns and the hives would swell up with the pattern. She'd take pictures of herself and sell them in NYC for a bunch of money. The things people think up always amazes me. Anyway I took my finger and traced my name on my arm and sure enough it swelled up and you could easily read it. I had everyone in my family try it and noone else reacted like I did. It's a form of contact hives. That is why when you brush or bump up on something you feel a little tingle and an itch that starts up. If you scratch it then it really gets itchy right and swells up? I have had good luck with just over the counter antihistamine tablets to stop the hives. So have a go at writing on your skin and see if that is what's up.
    Mart

kiera01

"Hives" question

This does seem to be exactly what i have. Would you happen to know what the cause or origin of this is? Could it be autoimmune or stress related?

mart15

"Hives" question

No I don't know why this has happened. I have put it down to stress because I have had unusally stressful three years. I'm also 57 years old and have just gone thru menapause. I have read somewhere that hives can occur during those years also. I don't have any allergies other than this. My dr did not offer any suggestions on it's cause. He only confirmed what I thought was happening to me.
    Mart

hopetofeelwell1

"Hives" question

Hi Kiera! Did they check your thyroid? You can get hives or skin issues with thyroid problems. My thyroid goes up and down and I get hives. Also have them check your adrenal gland, too. If you were to post on the thyroid board, you could ask the merabers if they've had a similar issue. Just my two cents, and I hope you feel better, soon. God bless--Hopeto--

Bollie444

"Hives" question

This sounRAB like Urticaria. It's an allergy skin reaction. It is difficult to find the cause. All my allergy tests came up negative. I found that when i smoke less, the rash doesn't flare up so bad. I can then control it with Antihistamine. If you get breathing problems, you should go to hospital emmidiately. You could suffocate within a few minutes. You can also keep an adrenaline injection with you, in case your throaght closes up. Just like a Insuline injection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information