Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Home

marshrose

I'm Home

I have seen over the weeks comparing that I do get alittle better each week,even in the slightest. Last week (which puts me at 4 weeks vs your not even 1 week), my daughter came with me to walk UP the block and back=not far at all, I HAD to use the cane, like my bad leg, like a crutch just to do it, and I walked SOOO sloooow she was ready to kill me, and that was with pain meRAB in me and I paid dearly for 2 days.

This week (my 5th week and your mid 2nd), I used the cane alittle, and made it AROUND the block at an almost normal pace, I think it took 15? minutes? maybe more--with pain meRAB in me still, and my limp wasnt nearly as bad as last week when I tried.- I only tried the block cuz you whoppered me with 4!! OMG ! lol I was thrilled I made it, we tried to do it again a few hours later, but half way thru the block this time my nerve pains started rearing terribly and I lived off the cane to get home. Comparison wise you're kicking major BUTT!! TRULY!!

So each week will get better, you just gotta get over that hump in regarRAB to the pain, and when you over do it you just wind up in more pain for more days. Once I see a window to be able to try to do something I do, and overdo it and regret it lol

What is this bone growth thing you're taking?I was going to ask if it's ok for me to take calcium or something, see if I remeraber this week to.

I think you'll make it to florida, you just gotta get over the hump, it'll be soon, you're getting there!! Week to week you'll see you're getting alittle better, soon soon you'll be rearin to go and not tons of pain. The rain KILLED ME for two days, TERRIBLY, it was like 4 steps back warRAB it was aweful, now it's faded away thankfully. I read somewhere someone used one of those donuts, air filled, you know with the hole in it to sit? Maybe hubby can get you one of those and see if it helps as your surgeries lower and then maybe you can sit more comfortably- like the things they give you after childbirth or when you get something removed off your but- you know what I mean?

Come to think of it, at one point a few weeks ago, I did something- I dont rem what- and I couldn't stop shaking, and had to lay down, felt like crap, and I had over did it, so maybe don't push yourself so much, maybe you have the same thing as me w the shaking doing too much at once. Maybe try half of what you do, in steps over the day doing the same amount? like one block, go lay down for alittle, wait a few hrs, do it again, instead of all at once 2x a day??

marshrose

I'm Home

I'm BAAACKKK lol
    I think your dr will prob do an xray- just to see that everything looks ok and didn't move, thats what the surgeon said to me today, not that I'm fusing, but to be sure everything staying in same spot. I am allowed to squat, but not beding lifting or twisting still of course. No fusing going on bla bla I did a post on here about the visit go peek so I don't retype it my arm killin me!

I know about being scared with Grace, PLUS you CANT LIFT HER AT ALL! NO NO NO and I KNOW you're going to want to, and she's going to want you to! Absolutely NOT!
    Start practicing to squat near a table and see if you can get down and up SLOWLY, or even half way to get your knees and muscles back to being in that position, I had to work on it for months and then with this surgery I think I started around 3? weeks being able to if I rem right. Then at least you can get to her level for a hug or kiss.

I didn't get alot of time at all to ask everything I wanted, but I can't try aquatherapy til next month he said just keep trying to walk, he wanted me to take advil to help with inflammation and to calm the nerve but I am allergic to anti inflammatories so I cant, and can't take steroiRAB due to the fusion ugk.

I am so tired and sore, the wait in the waiting room killed me atop the rain today. But he said everything still looks good in xray at least.

He didn't care that I still haveto take the pain meRAB and everything else either, but remeraber I've been shot for a long time. He was glad I didn't have the cane.

K I am off, I gotta rest before I can start trying to cook dinner.

marshrose

I'm Home

The cane really does help, if the PT will teach you how to use it, I used mine as if it were my leg, on the same side, with each step, like a crutch cuz I couldn't put my leg down, but someone told me you're really supposedto use it on your good side to help compensate - got me!!

Ohh and if you try miralax to take it'll make you regular, and it's just powder you put in juice and you don't even taste it, it worked great for me, I'd drink some every morning and I'd be going the next morning. Try that if you don't have that one

Those pains you get can be one of 2 things- either you're getting more muscle spasms and its bothering your nerves, or when your nerves heal they keep firing off, (HATED THAT) mine did it for about a week, and then they faded, I think it was sending signals to be normal or something- cuz it just kept going off and off and off driving me NUTS and I'm grunting and groaning thru the whole thing! Take your muscle relaxers or notice if you're on them when it happens and see if it goes away or happens when they are running out of your system. It'll go away too, in a few days, I had alot of that in my leg to my foot, and others in my spine, the ones in my spine I think were muscle spasms driving me nuts and a weird umcomfortable not nice feeling lol

the incision in the front is prob deeper than the back, so it'll take longer I'd guess, I just got vitamin E to put on my scar now since it's healed to help it heal better overall, I had to wait for all the scabs to go away and me to be able to touch it.

I bought a memory foam egg crate bed topper at like target for 20bucks, it works GREAT for me, even thou I got a good bed, I was getting pressure points, maybe somethign like that if you notice you're getting pressure points. Sometimes I wish I had a tiny pillow to put in the crevis of my back curve when I lay down, I put my hand back there ALOT and put pressure above where the incision is, but that may be whatever else is wrong w my back that hasn't been looked into yet.

I cant wait for my Dr appt, I really wanna try aquatherapy, I just dont know if it's too soon or if he's going to let me do it. I think my SO got my cane at CVS was like 20bucks or less, and its adjustable, with a nice foam flat handle so I could really lay my weight on it trying to get my leg to move, worked great.

My sleep meRAB kicking in finally, so off I goo to snooooze getting sore tonite even with the walk with my daughter, but its getting cold and is to rain, so I am hoping this is not a prelude ugk the rain better be nice to me tomorrow that's for sure.

Nite!

JanKR

I'm Home

Hi Megss,
    Welcome home! Isn't it a relief to have this over with after all the stress of making the decision what to do? Take care of yourself and try to stay on the upbeat. Here's to a speedy recovery!
    Jan.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm Home

Hey Rosey!

I am glad you got your haircut! It is always nice to do something nice for yourself after being through so much. I am glad you were able to handle driving too. I still have not done that, but I am on pain meRAB every 4 hours so I really shouldn't yet. On Friday I am supposed to go down to pain meRAB every 6 hours. I am scared. Sometimes it is hard to make it through 4 hours! Although I am not taking as many as allowed (don't take them every 4 hours through the night) so I will be having extra for emergencies.

Get a massage! I had one today and it was nice. It hurt at first to lay on my stomach, especially with that incision, but I got used to it.

I didn't even think about having Grace clirab onto the couch to change her. My mom said the same thing. I was probably just so panicked about the poop that I couldn't think straight. That was like the last thing I need this morning.

I ate a lot today. I had a little bit of soup for lunch, some sherbert for a snack, and then I had some left over chicken and some slices of cheese for another snack. I am having rice only for dinner. This will be the most I have eaten in one day for a long time. I need to gain like 15 pounRAB.

Alright I am going to go downstairs for a bit, I need a change of scenery.

marshrose

I'm Home

HOLY CRAP 4 BLOCKS! OMG! Thats WONDERFUL I still can't do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told you you'd leave me in the dust!

Take it easy! My goodness!!

You have a lower vertabrae worked on than me, so I would think sitting would be even harder, I could only sit for 10 minutes completely upright to eat dinner, now with alot of pillows, I can last about an hour on the couch-reclined, I cant sit relaxed tho, only upright position and perfect posture for 10 minutes.

I can't believe you walked so far my GOD! Thats AMAZINGGGG!!!!

marshrose

I'm Home

That is alittle steep here for over an hr its 60 esp a friend? But who knows, I'm dying for one, I just cant get in any position comfortably for someone to rub my back!!! My mom actually does massage (alittle hard thou lol ouch!) I may hit her up this w/e for it I need it desperately bad.

I can cook, one meal a day, today was hard cuz the dr appt ran late, and then the ride in traffic, then hurry n cook before I could really get a true rest on my back.

once you start letting up on the pain meRAB more you'll be going better, at least the suppositories worked for you, I tried everything and aint nothing got me going for like 10 days. Was aweful!

If you don't sleep in a nightgown maybe try it so nothings rubbing around the front incision I did that for the first 2 weeks with my first surgery, my 2nd I wore mens boxer shorts that were sagging below the incision. My incision almost goes TO my but crack, my SO took a pic of it and showed it to his friend and his friend asked if it was a pic of my but. ugk. lol

Well my doc was shocked when I barely gimped in with my purple blaring cvs cane and couldn't believe I had gotten that set back from the nerve being moved, he was shocked. Happy this time when I didn't have it. Your doc may change what he says once he sees how you are in PERSON 2 weeks post op, that was my worst time physically, the next week started heading up for me, and the following week was a good week too. I am not allowed to pickup anything bigger than a gallon of milk still. Been that way for awhile now actually. And I cant, Ive tried, and boy do you pay bigtime.

If the dr says yes she can pick up the baby, THEN interrupt and ask HOW TO, as since he doesn't want you to bend or put pressure on your back, I'd like to see how Mr Dr Man is thinking it can be physically done??? Request an example of what he means on how to physically be able to pick her up.

I wanna know what trick he's thinking that I cant! I do notice the closer you hold something to your front/chest, the less it hurts your back, so when I carry my laptop or set the table with dishes I carry them flat to my chest, if I hold them normal I can feel the pain in my back and then some.

I know, peeps don't understand anything with back stuff-moms included. My mom has been OK cuz she worked as a PTA in a hospital for awhile, BUT my SO (whom I'm not speaking to at the moment) decides the ONE pot he was going to cook dinner with, was dirty, and threw a hissy fit, like an asz, and went off the hook, I went in reemed him out, kicked him out and haven't talked to him since. LOL I was in agony all day with the rain, and he's mad that I should psycically know which pot he was going to cook with, AND ensure it to be clean at 6pm? NOT. Takes 2 mins to wash a pot if you need it. wash it. -I work all day- you do nothing-
    NOT! I do as much as I can. ONE POT doesnt make or break something. I threw him out. Screw it, I dont need more stress, just get out if you're going to be a male shovanist pig. TA TAH

My mom is ok, I see her less, and shes' more understanding, she came w me to dr today as I told SO to kiss my sweet pattootey, and my mom saying to dr are you SURE you want to let her to drive??? ARE YOU SURE? lol I was like sssshhh ssssh shutup I wanna drive! lol hes letting me drive now at least. I know I can't go far whatsoever but, its some freedom FINALLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dying to for 9 months NINE MONTHS of being in this bed in this room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now I am FREE!!!!!! YAY YAY YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am so excited. THRILLED! I usedto know that I was going to be in a wheelchair, very soon, and now after surgeries I am walking and I can drive! My goodness what a difference. Legs buckling out from under you falling stunk, and hurrying to take a shower before the legs wear out, and SO carrying me and catching me all the time, was aweful. That was the worst time of my life, the bedridden and that. Killed me inside.

And now I am almost normal again! I could cry!!!! HELL I AM!!!!!

Good luck at your appointment post when you get home I wanna hear about it!

And ask about the plane ride, and /or extra meRAB as you will be trying to get to fla, maybe he will give you some extra for the flights. That would be good. And try to start saving some, if he asks if you got some still say 'a few' I'll need more, and get him to script you so you have a FULL bottle to get to Fla with. I am starting my neurontin tonight. Thank god. I was dying for neurontin.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm Home

Hey Rose,

I am still feeling sciatic pain, sometimes really bad. It is discouraging but I know it is normal. Today is a bad day. I am taking my meRAB and throwing up. I am just so shaky,. I really don't think I will amke it to FL in a week and five days. I just can't imagine being able to go.

I have to go lay down....

10sox

I'm Home

Meggs-
    I read through some of this thread and hope that you are feeling better today. I had my first back surgery (just a discectomy though) when my son was 13 months and I was 19 weeks PREGNANT with my daughter. So I totally get the helplessness that goes along with being a mom.

I was wondering what tests you had that showed no nerve impingement? I've had 5 MRI's and a CT Myelogram and all of showed I no involvement. I am being told my herniations were so large, that the nerves are just badly damaged and the the damage is permenent. An EMG showed the nerves are damaged.

I was just wondering more about your situation. How can all the test show no impingement yet you did?

Thanks!!
    10sox

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm Home

I took like a 6 block walk tonight with my sister and daughter. About half way through I knew I needed to get home, so we headed home. I have been in SO much pain ever since. The serious pain hit about 5 minutes after getting home. I don't know what I was thinking. I thought I could manage it since I had a decent day today. I am also so exhausted I feel as though I have been hit by a truck. I hope I don't have a really bad day tomorrow as a result of this walk, it is supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow, our warmest day of the year so far. I would like to at least take my normal walk down the alley and enjoy the weather!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information