Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    laf761

"Charlie Horse" or groin pain after PLIF

Just had my lurabar fusion (L3-L4) 4 weeks ago...I have been walking for recovery these last two weeks....something I hadn't done for many months before the surgery...

The original pain I had was on my right leg..SEVERE sciatica...Now I have a groin pain right where my LEFT leg meets my hip...Almost like a Charlie Horse...Seems to feel better with heat...but making it difficult to do the walking I should for recovery..

I'm nervous that this might be NEW nerve pain but praying it's just a spasm or came from moving around when I hadn't for so long.

It might also be from getting on/off the bed with the "log roll" perhaps I strained something...??

Anyone experience anything similar??

Any thoughts welcome!!!

Thanks...

ms_west

I can't say that I have experienced this but I am thinking you should try ice instead of the heat. Since ice brings down inflammation. If it continues I would bring it up to your doctor.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

laf761

Thanks I will try it right now....

Ill report back later............

mznell

Hi LAF ~

I had weird new pains after my fusion. The surgeon's assistant reminded me that I was lying on the operating table for almost 4 hours, on my stomach, in "weird" positions and that some nerves might have been bothered. I don't know if that's what was happening or not, but it is going away and is almost gone. Definitely talk to your doc if it continues. Try to keep your recovery positive. Try not to focus on the "what ifs" every time you feel a new pain. (I'm trying to remind myself of this as well.)

xx MM

laf761

Hey MM.....good to hear from you...That's right you did have lots of new weird pains... and my surgery was even longer ..5 hrs......You're right again (always SO sensible) that I must stay positive and be grateful I don't have tht AWFUL sciatica pain which was excruciating......and I'm standing and walking.

Looking forward to a visit from my office mates this Thursday..I'm sure you've found this, your immediate family has been w/ me all the while since returning from the hospital..It's great to have outsiders visit..I think they see more progress and tell you you look great...I think my family is tired of looking at me at this point....I plan to head back to my place in 2 weeks....I have hesitated cause I live alone...Want to feel stronger first.

How are you feeling these days.....you sound like your pain has finally subsided a bit and you're doing well.

I drove only a few blocks the other day but it felt good to be free from the house for a bit....Not too easy getting in and out...

I hope you are doing well..

LAF:angel:

mznell

When I went to my surgeon last week, I was listing how I was feeling. Then I said something about having gone for a walk outside. He stopped me and asked if I could have done that prior to my surgery. I said "no." Then awhile later, a similar situation came up and I had to admit that "no" I hadn't been able to do that either. Then he commented that he could tell from my body mechanics that I was feeling a lot better than during my last visit. I hadn't really noticed!! I think we get so caught up in examining every little pain that we forget we're making progress. It just doesn't go as fast as we want.

He also told me to start pt, start swimming, or walking in the warm water...generally get back to leading my life. And I am, and I'm feeling better. Then I come home and pile into bed!!!!

I'm glad your pals are coming for a visit. That will help a lot. I think you'll find that you'll see a lot of progress within the next two weeks...and another jump after 6 weeks.

laf761

I tell you I'm not sure what I'd do without your input........

You have been so helpful to me.....I know we can't ask names...but pl. know I would have liked to send you a note, if I did know your name.

Thanks for the encouragement and all your invaluable personal feedback.

SO glad you are feeling so much better.

LAF

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information