Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    sunset56

"Twisted Vertebrae?" Anyone else have this, or know anything about it?

Hello everyone! Although this is my first posting, I have been reading this board for several months now...and would like to say thank you to everyone who has written in. I had been waiting for the FDA to approve multi-level disc replacement surgery, but after spending time on this site, along with my worsening condition , I have given up on that idea, and I've been seeing the doctors at a local spine institute.
    For about 20 years, I've occasionally had disc ruptures that resulted in a "twisted vertebrae", where L-5 would shift, and then get hung up at an angle. I'd be in intense pain until it would get back into it's proper place. I had a laminectomy (L-5 S-1) in 1992, and the twisting stopped, although I began to rupture L-2 soon after. I finally had a fusion (L-4 L-5) in 2000. About 18 months after the fusion, I woke up with L-5 again twisted. After several years of ruptures, I finally had two disco-grams done, and they determined that the upper part of the fusion had failed.
    I was told my best option would be to wait until the FDA approved the multi disc replacements, and also told that if I had any other kind of fusion done, that I would be unable to much of anything, and would be on permanent disability. This was 4 years ago, and I have averaged two incidents a year, along with bouts of stenosis and other arthritis symptoms (My first rupture was when I was 17, I'm now 52)
    Last Septeraber I had an incident of L-5 twisting, and again last month...and it feels as if it has been out of position for the last 6 months. I've recently had several x-rays (standing and bending) a CAT scan and an MRI done for the spine institute, and there is a large bulge in L-3 and a tear in L-2...and the doctors are of the opinion that my twisting is actually referred pain from these upper discs. The x-ray they took clearly show that I'm "bent", and the doctor even commented on this. Since I've had the twisting for over 2 decades, and I've had people even feel my back when it's happened, and they can feel the displacement...I'm very wary of following through with another fusion until I have a better answer about this bone movement.
    I'm now in the worst pain yet, and unable to work. My job is computer related, and I have a lot of freedom as far as positions and movement is concerned. I'm taking 20mg of Oxycontin twice a day, and if I'm immobile, it takes about half of the pain way. If I do any walking or other movement, it's like I'm not taking anything at all. I have another appointment at the spine institute in two weeks, and they may decide on a disco-gram or other tests.
    Has anyone else had this "twisting" of vertebrae? And if so, is there a medical term for it??

BlueAtlas

"Twisted Vertebrae?" Anyone else have this, or know anything about it?

Hi Sunset, and welcome to our little "back"-warRAB world.

I do not have this and have never heard of it before, but I wanted to let you know that we do commiserate with your pain. There are lots of us here, and this is a very encouraging and supportive group of folks. We have a variety of back issues, but back pain is back pain and we all understand that!

I hope someone will post who's experienced exactly what you're going through, but even if not, please know that we're all behind you and wish you the best.

Take care,
    Emily :wave:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information