Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    RiderJen

Scoliosis, rotated rib cage, and weird spasm

I'm 54 years old. I'm active and enjoy many different activities. I keep my weight down through exercise and watching what I eat.

I've known since I was a teenager that I have scoliosis.. It doesn't give me any problems except a 1-2 times a year when I have a spasm that drives me completely crazy. A few years ago, I saw a good physical therapist who gave me some exercises to strengthen my back and shoulder muscles. She noticed that my rib cage appears to be rotated toward the left!

When I bend over, people notice that the muscles on one side of my spine protrude much higher than the other side. That would make sense if my rib cage is rotated.

But here's what I really want to ask about --- the weird spasm:
    About 1-2 times a year, always after doing something that requires hours of bending (weeding, crafting at a table, etc.), I get a spasm just below the bra strap and just to the right of the spine. The first sign is some tightness there that feels like someone digging their knuckle into my back --- not really painful, but just uncomfortable.

Later, when I'm relaxing, that's when it really drives me crazy. The spasm isn't painful -- instead, it feels like the muscle is "fluttering" beneath the skin. Sometimes I describe it as an "internal itch that I can't scratch". Another description: It feels like someone is rubbing that spot with their knuckle, for hours and hours and hours. Imagine how annoying that would be --- not particularly painful, just VERY annoying. I can't rest or lie down because it causes me to want to bend or move in any direction to alleviate it. If I try to lie still, I feel the "flutter", which causes me to tense up, which sets things in motion again.

If I catch it early enough by stopping the activity, stretch and take Advil, it usually goes away. I've learned to prevent this by stretching before the activity, using good body mechanics (bend my knees and squat instead of bend at the waist), taking regular breaks to stretch, and stretching after the activity. I also lie on a styrofoam roll, roll back and forth to allow the pressure to "knead" that spot in my back, and allow my shoulders to fall back --- this feels very comfortable and I highly recommend investing in a styrofoam roll.

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of a spasm that feels like this --- not really painful, just extremely annoying.

fusepro

Scoliosis, rotated rib cage, and weird spasm

I have experienced some of what you are describing but I had scoliosis surgery which it seems like you have been able to avoid. My surgery was in 1978 and fairly primative to todays scoliosis surgeries...I was left with most of the curve and rib rotation,today they can usually restore alot of the spine and ribcage alienment. With my ribcage still abnormally twisted I get what feels like the ribs slip over each other a bit and its excruciating pain and the muscle tightens and I can't move for a few minutes till the muscle relaxes and everything seems to ...return to its normal position? I am thinking it has more to do with the cartilidge between the ribs that is compromised when we move in a certian way. Hope this helps a bit...its just what I experience. God Bless.
    Rich

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information