...from the medicine Trazodone? I'm 25, and I've been out of the Marines for just over a year now. I have severe PTSD from when I was in Iraq and I have problems sleeping. I was prescribed 50 mg of Trazodone by the doctor when I was on the psych ward 2 weeks ago for PTSD, anxiety and depression issues. I was prescribed the Trazodone because I am not able to sleep at all, and it is the only thing that can help me get a decent night's sleep without nightmares.

The problem is since I've been on it, I keep getting prolonged erections that are really painful. I mean I take the pill at night before I go to bed, and I'll be in bed and have an erection in my boxers within an hour or so, and it gets pretty painful. Also, I'll wake up with an erection, but its really prolonged. I also just keep getting them ever since I've been on the Trazodone. Also, I keep getting erections throughout the day that last for at least 2 or more hours. I mean I know I'm 25, but this has never happened this much, and I've never had erections this painful until I got on the Trazodone. It's also embarrassing, because I'm getting them while I'm in class too, and its hard to concentrate enough having PTSD and anxiety let alone this now. This is the only medicine that I can get a really decent night's sleep with but I can't keep taking this if its going to do this. My psychiatrist keeps saying that I'm probably just thinking about sex too much or something or I'm overreacting, but I'm not. I need sleep, but its not worth it if this keeps happening. Is this a common side effect of this medicine?