Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

My laptop isnt recognizing my Panasonic NV-GS17 camcorder?

My laptop is not recognizing my cam corder. I have connected the usb and port to the camcorder and my laptop is not recognizing anything. i cannot get the videos onto the laptop. I went to my computer on windows and nothing comes up.
    Does anyone know why this is?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That camcorder uses FireWire, not USB, to transfer video. The USB cable is for still photos.

If you have a FireWire port on your computer (4-pin, 6-pin, or 9-pin, any one of them works), you can connect a FireWire cable from the 4-pin port on your camera (the DV port) to whatever size port is on your computer.

If you don't have a FireWire port, but you have an expansion card slot (i.e. PCMCIA, ExpressCard34, PCIe, etc.) - you can get a FireWire card to add a port to your computer.

If there's no way at all to get FireWire on your computer, you need to settle for a USB capture device like the Dazzle by Pinnacle. You lose some quality, and it'll be difficult to re-capture exactly the same video from the tape if you ever need to re-capture it (because those devices don't carry the "timecode" information from the tape), but it's better than nothing.

Good luck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That camcorder uses FireWire, not USB, to transfer video. The USB cable is for still photos.

If you have a FireWire port on your computer (4-pin, 6-pin, or 9-pin, any one of them works), you can connect a FireWire cable from the 4-pin port on your camera (the DV port) to whatever size port is on your computer.

If you don't have a FireWire port, but you have an expansion card slot (i.e. PCMCIA, ExpressCard34, PCIe, etc.) - you can get a FireWire card to add a port to your computer.

If there's no way at all to get FireWire on your computer, you need to settle for a USB capture device like the Dazzle by Pinnacle. You lose some quality, and it'll be difficult to re-capture exactly the same video from the tape if you ever need to re-capture it (because those devices don't carry the "timecode" information from the tape), but it's better than nothing.

Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information