Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Samsung Drift (Helio) or Samsung A707 aka Sync (Cingular)

I'd say this is more of a which company should I pick question, feature wise they are very similar I love both of them equally lol

Heres my situation... I currently have a cingular employee rate plan (ANRP) however the store I work at is getting our authorized agent contract terminated, I also have a Suncom line on the unplan cause I talk to much and burn through my 1000 anytime min on my plan in half a month...

My big concern is which company will be better for me without burning a gigantic hole in my pocket? Helio offers free txt, internet, etc etc... only thing to worry about is the anytime minutes... Cingular I'd have to get the media max 1000 for $29.99 on top of my voice plan... I'm probably looking at the $99.99/mo one for cing + $30...

I can also stick with good old suncom i'm on a fam plan with a friend... free anytime min, but i dont forsee them going 3G anytime soon and their customer service needs some help...

any advice would be helpful thanks!

Well I did some more homework and I think I'm sticking with cingular the A707 is just freakin sweet... I also called suncom to enquire about them going 3G... it's bad when even the techy department is like 3G umm ya we JUST upgraded to EDGE soo it might be a long while... lmao such a crap company... great for someone who just wants to talk all day but not great for those of us who want cutting edge technology...

Anywho if anyone has an argument as to why I should go helio vs cingular feel free...

I also just realized Cingular's being a bunch of a-holes and aparently keeping the software, data cable and stereo headset seperately from the phone for an additional $39.99... bah

I think its the best choice staying with Cingular. Helio's smaller company, so they really dont have everything that Cingular has.

And as far as the accessories, they obviously figure that every other carrier does it, so why dont they do it and make money.

Verizon does it with every phone. At least Cingular includes it with some.

As far as the a707, it looks awesome and I want one. I think I will pick one up soon after I try the Tmobile Dash and if the Samsung i607 doesnt come out soon.

sweet thanks I hope I can get some kinda deal switching from a employee line to a regular one... thats a big jump for me going from $20/mo to $130/mo =o might call them tonight and atleast see what they can do for me...

My only complaint is it seems the samsung A707... just like the D807 has no pop3 email capabilities... its been stripped out and replaced with cingular's little email app which is limited to aol, yahoo, and i think msn -.- ah well that wont stop me from buying it anyway. Gmail has a seperate J2ME app that lets u access ur gmail account now so that takes care of 3-4 of my 6 email accounts i have atleast lol

The other phone I thought of was the Nokia N75 but why why why did nokia not include A2DP support and its just UTMS not HSPDA ::smacks nokia:: i love their phones and the symbian os but those 2 flaws kill it for me

FYI for those interested in the Samsung A707

I don't really want to invest an extra $40 (39.99) for the music bundle from cingular since I wont use the included wired stereo headset (I already own a A2DP I-Tech bt stereo headset clip) so i dug around to see if i can get the software seperately... and guess what... the software is FREE!

so if your in my boat and dont wanna shell out for the pretty little cd-rom go to samsung's support page and download it, u can connect via datacable, IR, or bluetooth using their suite and it does a bunch of nifty stuff

however if u do need/want the data cable, and wired stereo headset (plus they throw in the cd) its still a good buy

how are those headphones with that phone? im thinking of getting some A2DP headphones

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

cingular no doubt

The i-tech R35 clip paired with my new A707 is spectacular its crystal clear like a wired pair would be. My one annoyance is with AIM it keeps defaulting regular text input when i open the app back up I have to select T9 every time before typing after closing/minimizing the app and i cant find a setting to change the default setting over.

the shortcuts are nicely laid out though it does everything its programmed to well... the camera u gotta be careful not to move it when its taking a shot it blurs seemingly easier then my nokia used to, i am impressed with the tons of camera functions and samsungs nicely laid out shortcut number keys to change settings of the camera like cycling through pic sizes

The browser makes me feel at home coming from a Nokia 6620... I used the netfront browser v3.1 on my nok... and the a707 comes loaded with netfront v3.3 so its got the browsing capabilities of a smart phone only shocker is the lack of multitasking well it was expected but ya... it doesnt even let u play music and minimize the player to look at something else

but at any rate i'm just nit picking its a fantastic phone great reception, call clairity/loudness, great speakerphone, great bluetooth reception, fast data transfer, excellent inside display and an ok outside one its fairly washed out but it does its job

I'm also fairly fond of cingulars java email app it even alerts u when u get a new piece of mail the downside is its limited to aol, msn, yahoo... and gmails java app isn't supported yet by the phone.

this review was a little scattered and unorganized but i hope it helps... i'm sick and lack the motivation to make this neat and tidy right now lol

Update: so yesterday i was talking to my friend, got in my car put it on speaker phone and shut the phone so its not as size awkward with that huge arse phone flipped open... and it cuts my call off!! i was under the assumption based on every other flip phone i seen (the whole line of moto's and flip nokias... and other flip samsungs) that every flip with speakerphone can be closed while on loudspeaker and still used... i dunno if this was an oversight in programming or if its a technical issue, the unique thing about the phone is the speakers are on each side of the flip at the top so when closed its down by the mouth piece that may be it for feedback reasons they took the ability away? thats the best answer i could come up with... ah well i guess imma have to start wearing my itech clip religiously... i just feel a tad silly running around with a "bluetooth necklace" if u will all day long lol and the ear muff models are even worse to me as far as the silly apperance factor

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information