Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I get a smartphone? (Verizon)

Hello all, I didn't see any threads that answered my specific question, hope I didn't miss anything.

I am a Verizon user on the west coast (California). I currently have an e815 but have been drooling over the LG VX-9900, mostly because of the QWERTY keyboard. Then I read up on it and saw the GPS navigation feature available, and that it'll take ringtones via mms, it has a decent camera, and it starts to look really good.

The thing is, I've been thinking for a while that my next phone might be a smartphone, although I'm not completely sure why (that's where you folks come in).

I am in a management position and occasionally have to travel for work. Usually when I do that I have my assistant take over the helm, but maybe I'd be more effective (and less tied to my desk) if I were more connected.

I hate the VZW standardized UI and don't prefer a phone running a Windows OS. So I was thinking of getting a Palm Treo but they're still pretty large and the camera is not-so-good.

I want a phone with good reception, a good camera, and a qwerty keyboard. Even though I can't stand the VZW UI, the 9900 has a few options and might be tolerable. On the other hand, they've just started coming out with the flash UI, so maybe I should wait and see if they are getting a clue (anyone know what the future might hold in this respect?).

The camera matters to me because not only do I not own a digital camera, but I can use an inconspicuous camera for my job (I'm a PI). I usually switch to my VX-8000 when the need arises for this. Also, I am into the whole converged device thing and don't want to buy extra gadgets when I can find one that does it all. I text and use the internet on my phone and like to use it for email also. (Generally web-based email that I just access through my WAP browser.)

With the advent of phones like the 9900 that have a keyboard, I started wondering if I really need a smartphone. Any phone will have a calendar, a phonebook for contacts, etc. I hear a lot of people talking about synchronizing their phone with Outlook, but I only use Outlook for my work email and I can't see why I would want to do that. On the other hand, I am a professional person in a management position, so maybe I should want to do that. I know that on a smartphone you'd be able to run applications like a PDA, so that'd be a huge advantage. I just have never owned a PDA so I don't know what I'm missing. Another advantage would be having a phone with an actual OS so I wouldn't have to look at the VZW UI. I know that sounds superficial but it matters to me.

So, I'm wondering, what are the real advantages of having a smartphone? Do they really do that much more than a regular phone does these days? What do people use them for the most? I'm interested in some discussion of this...maybe it'll spark my brain to make a decision...thanks!

p.s.

After posting this last night, I seem to be seeing that there's a difference between smartphones, pocket pcs, PDA phones, etc. I'm seeing different information in different places, so it doesn't seem like there's a simple definition of these terms. This isn't a subject I know a lot about - please feel free to educate me. Thanks.

No words of wisdom for me? Was I too vague about what my needs are? As far as I can tell so far, the main advantages would be access to work email and maybe the ability to send a report (i.e. a Word document) from the road. I know I don't want a Blackberry though, because they seem far too limited in terms of other features.

theres a new samsung thats out small but does the same thing the 9900 does and its a flip the q and the new titan when it comes out will be nice its the xv6800.

Thanks for the response. I didn't know about the 6800, and I just found out about the U740. I've been out of the loop for the past year or so. Maybe it's worth waiting to see if Verizon pops out with any more surprises before my NE2 comes around in June.

Knowing that the 9900 does OBEX out of the box makes it mighty tempting. I did the seem edit thing on my e815 but I kinda wonder if I messed it up because my phone has no video and there's some functionality missing from the itap ...Oh well, live and learn...

I'm still wondering, though, whether it's worth paying more and carrying something bigger to have a smartphone / whateveryouwannacallit.

What about the BlackBerry 8703e?

check mark venture page there alot of flashes out for the e815 so you should have no problem fixing that also there is a new pantech flip smart phone out too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

BlackBerry 8703e = no camera.

I just did some reading and it looks like Palm is basically dead and there won't be any new devices coming out that run the "new" OS 6. The Palm Treo 700p is looking like the end of the line, and I read a lot of complaints about Palm OS 5. I was wondering why I was seeing so many new devices running Windows...and unfortunately I have a lot of resistance to paying for a Microsoft OS, as inconvenient as that is for me. So...it's looking like maybe I should keep my eye on the regular phones with keyboards and forget about the smartphone idea for the time being, as long as I want to stay with CDMA anyway.

I was going to say I'm not sure if I want to go back in and do the seem edit thing again because I'm wanting to buy a new phone anyhow, but maybe I should stick with the old e815 for a while more and see if there's anything more on the horizon. Too bad they don't make virtual keyboards for the thing - that would be cool!

The 9900 is a good phone i would keep the e815 as a backup i am waiting on the new L7c myself to come out to replace my v710s.

Yeah, looking at that animated wallpaper thread makes me want to just go run out and buy a 9900 today! LOL

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information