Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Sony is up shit creek: PS3 is a sales disaster

What the FUCK did you just say about my mom?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

8.5% tax. What's the price of the Sony HDMI cable in your neck of the woods? $60? I believe GameStop charges $69.99 for the extended warranty.

PS3 - $600
    HDMI - $60
    game - $60
    controller - $50
    warranty - $70
    -----------------
    $840
    $67.20 -tax
    -----------------
    $907.20 total

I'm telling you what I saw a guy payed at a local store. Yeah, he could have spent another two or three hours looking for $10 HDMI cable, but chances are that all he wanted to do was get the unit home as quickly as possible and start playing a game with his friend. (You really think that he would scoure the internet, get the lowest price and wait 4 days for it to be delivered? I don't think so.) If that HDMI cable didn't work just right, he would have needed to return it and get one that worked. So he went with the original Sony cable instead.

While the extended warranty may not be needed for the overheating problems, what if you get a PS3 that drops the controller signal? Or it won't play a BR movie? (Both problems I have heard have happened.) With the extended warranty you take it back and no questions are asked.

Maryland has a 2.5% tax???

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is it just as easy to buy the no-HD 360 and add an HD? Does it come with a CD which will allow me to format it and install the OS?

Otherwise, what features on the PS3-20 aren't needed? The mem stick slots? It's not the glossy finish of the PS3-60, it's the matte finish. I would expect the PS3 to use SATA-II while the 360 uses SATA-I. Does anyone know for sure? Does anyone know if they are 5400 rpm models? I would expect them to be 5400 rpm models for reliability.

I think two things are lacking in the PS3: PS2 mem slots ($15 for a cable adapter) and rumble. If they could have made a no-HD model with mem slots and sold it for $399, maybe more people would have picked it up, if only for the Blu-Ray. But as it is they are losing $300 on the the '20 model and $250 on the '60 model. Which probably means that they'd be losing $400 on the no-HD model.

What I see as the real culprit, though, is the lack of rumble. (Well, that and the non-inclusion of an HDMI cable, if what you are selling is HDTV.) Some people may have wanted to be warned that they were hitting the gravel when playing a driving game, but as an RPG'er I really liked the rumble as a warning of upcoming danger. For Sony, with all of its money, to not pony up and pay a few bucks to license rumble, in unconscionable.

Make no mistake about it, the price isn't "just" $600 for the PS3-60. Add the HDMI cable, the extended warranty (which probably matters more for the 360), 1 game, add ~$100 in taxes, and you're talking about $850 to walk out the door. $850...

(But at least it has wireless internet which would cost $100 more on the 360. If people have their cable box near the TV, and if the cable box has an ethernet port, then wireless is moot, in most cases. Then consider that many new homes have ethernet ports near their cable input. Me, I'll save the $100 and put a $15 50' ethernet cable under the carpet or along a wall.)

yeah, def. just when people have to pay taxes they'll shell out $600.

Hopefully nobody is paying more than 10 bucks for an HDMI cables. How long is the warranty from Gamestop?

Well I misread your post.

I also got a $70 cable at Best Buy when I had an impulse to purchase an upconverting DVD player a while back. First thing I did was order one from monoprice when I got home. When those came, the cable from BB went back.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

$2000 x 2.5% = $50

Maryland's 5% tax: $2000 x 5.0% = $100

are you still in elementary school or something

full of rage? If we have rage over anything, it's over these countless threads. I think most people just need to grow up. I expect this kind of argument from the Genesis and SNES days, but aren't we all adults now? I have or have had at one point all three systems and I will tell you I prefer the ps3. Now is that so bad that people have to come on here and everywhere else on the internet to make tiring threads and rants? Fucking nerds.

Nah, got distracted by the start of the Bears-Seahawks game. Like right now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information