Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

EDGE on Iphone vs EDGE on Nokia N95

Apple made a deal with AT&T for them to increase EDGE speeds to closer reach its full potential. This gives AT&T a slight advantage over other networks depending on sigal strength. So you can't compare phone hardware that much in this case.

I am waiting anxiously for the update as well, I'm hoping they will fix a lot of minor issues & I would really like to use my own ringtones instead of a duck quack (!?), but I used to get whatever the latest greatest cell phone was (Samsung D600, Nokia N80, N73, N95, next would be the E90), and the N95 WAS my favorite phone ever. But now every new phone that is announced, no matter what great features it has - I KNOW it won't have the ease & joy of use that the iPhone has & it holds no interest for me. I can't see my next phone being anything but the iPhone 2.

N95-webkit - safari GUI
    (Or Presto - Opera Mobile GUI)

vs
    Iphone-webkit - Web Browser GUI

vs
    Prada-proprietary through Obigo browser (like Openwave, crippled--no ajax, scripting, WAP/WML limits to redering)

Comparing webkit to Obigo is apples to oranges and pointless. N95 and iphone are the same for rendering through webkit. The difference is optimizations: device specific, safari on the iphone only, Web Browser on any s60 device; and network specific between ATT and Tmobile. N95 may not be optimized completely but at least they give you the option to install an alternative like Presto/Opera.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That wiki says "class 32 (up to 236Kbps)" so even if you are on a network which will give you all those slots why would it still be limited to 236Kbps? On a good strong EDGE connection I can usually get over that on the iPhone. I think once you are hitting the max theoretical of the network it all comes down to the CPU and how the device handles the render.

i used the iphone in the att store , so i really dont have a great example. The iphone and the n95 both seem to open at the same level, also as for rendering pages they both rendered nicely and as for screens the iphone is larger but to me the n95 was as crisp and seemed brighter, maybe was settings on the iphone.

In the one test I saw the two compared the iPhone screen was about 2.5x's the lux of the N95 screen so must have been settings or the auto-brightness was on.

I've almost given up on browsing via EDGE with my iPhone. The speeds are so inconsistent. I tested with dslreports.com

Sometimes it's really slow (during peak daytime business hours) something like 20-50 kbit/s (and yes, this slow speed is really noticeable on the iphone's safari browser).

For the few times I've been able to get max potential out of ATT (newer/faster EDGE speeds), where I am getting between 130-175 kbit/s) the browsing experience is adequate for my needs. However, those higher speeds are few and far in between. I feel most of the time the web pages are so slow it's not even worth the trouble.

ATT needs to get more consistent higher EDGE speeds with the iPhone.

Like ATT's CEO said in an interview with USA today right before launch, he basically reasoned the EDGE was good for basic emailing and texting and left out the internet browsing part.

You get over 236kbps over EDGE? I don't think you are or there is a mistake somewhere because Class 10 EDGE on the iPhone can't get over that speed or even at that speed.

EDGE sucks anyway, use HSDPA once and it's like going back to dialup when you're on EDGE. The Latency problem is also horrible.

It's a function of your signal, and I'm also sure if you're moving enough to switch between cell towers that probably slows it down as well. It's not like there are squirrels in an AT&T datacenter chewing on wires slowing it down.

Yes, depending on the situation it can be slow pulling pages (although much quicker than other EDGE phones), but the interface and the ease of browsing the pages, zooming, scrolling, and switching to other pages makes it a faster overall experience.

Just curious how does speed make up for lost features. I mean what did you use the n95 for, ill admit the ui on iphone is awesome, but after that the n95 is just more powerful as u stated, speed dont help stereo bluetooth which i use, speed dont help full bluetooth functionality, speed dont help video recording, or having full office suite, or a dictionary, or my bible, or gps or video gaming or voice dial ect...... Please im not knocking the iphone im just baffled bye some statements. P.s. with updates for both phones, speed and userability increases, agps is on the n95 now locks in like 15-30 seconds

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information