Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Official support on Android for Apps to SD "coming soon"

Really whats the point anymore? The G1 is the only phone out there that has this limited amount of storage space isnt it? i think every phone after the g1 had at least 256 or more MB or storage which is plenty. Correct me if im wrong but this seems like too little to late. I suppose if your one of the few who isnt rooted this may be a big deal for you. Also this says that it will do something about the fragmentation between android devices? Does that mean older devices like G1 or mytouch will get this official update?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The HTC Magic (known as the T-Mobile myTouch 3G in the US, and the docomo HT-03A in Japan) also had 192MB of storage for apps.

I'm not rooted, and I use a G1, and the storage capacity does affect me, but isn't a big deal for me. I don't need 100+ apps on my phone, and I look at the positive side and glad I don't have that many to search through to find the 1 game I might be playing at the time, or one of the few apps I actually use every day.

Still, I'd love more storage space.

Google have stated that they will address the fragmentation issue. They have not said when though. Most likely they will do the same kind of thing Microsoft did with Windows 7, and make the OS more backwards compatible. That will mean that apps that are written for 1.6 (for example) that don't currently work on 2.1, may work on some later version that Google have addressed the fragmentation issue in.

If they don't address fragmentation by making the OS more compatible, they could address it by making the APIs compatible from now on. This would mean that any app written in Android 2.5 (lets pretend this is the version where they address fragmentation), will work in all future versions.

The only other way to address fragmentation is to reduce it by making sure every phone is running the same version. They simply can't do this at present, as the G1 doesn't have the memory to install the latest versions of Android, and as phones are doubling in processor power every year or so, current older phones will simply be to slow to run the likes of Android 3.0 or 4.0 or whatever. So I imagine they'll use one of the first two ways to address the problem.

You guys aren't thinking large enough. Right now there are two mobile game systems, the Nintendo DS and the iPhone (according to Nintendo who doesn't see the PSP as even a factor, which is backed up by the iPhone making more money on games than the PSP). With Flash and the tools that come with it, some nice games could be made. Games are going to be much larger then the typical few megabyte application... Apps2SD as a standard will allow gaming to actually gain some ground on Android.

Alright...

Yes.. right.. Thanks for the tips. And lets keep forum clean.

That is one the point.. I am agreed.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

sort of off topic. but still related to froyo tried to play a flash video on my phone today and the error message said Android will have flash in the first half of 2010. that was reassuring to me, oddly enough.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think they've not changed that message. I was getting that message since last 1-1.5 months.

ahh I was hoping it was new! usually I see the broken flash icon and sulk away muttering about stupid flash.

hehehehtheheh.. BTW before current message there was another message "flash is not available for your platform" something like that was coming. BTW did you sign up for public beta of flash ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information