Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Touch screen is not working

Can i do it by myself?

Well, B?rbara, in the whole of possibiities, I reckon you can. But are you technically oriented? I don't wanna sound rude, girl, but that's where you come from, isn't that so ? You didn't mention the issue with a broken LCD and a DIY repair to me {slap in the wrist for you}, OK no hard feelings here , but if you expect our collaboration to be of some use, we gotta learn the hard facts beforehand. We could all have made a better diagnose without 'swinging from one side to the other', you know what I mean?

If you have already replaced an LCD screen all by yourself, then I reckon you're apt to do it again, but this time you're ready to pay attention to several other details. Just as Jig points out, affixing the screen to its connector relieves part of the issue. Now, the screen comprises two layers: one is the screen itself, I mean the output peripheral that provides image, and this is the "screen" in its own right; the other, a thin layer responsible for the tactile sensitivity, the input peripheral that makes the so-called touchscreen behavior exist, it's called the "digitizer". If you don't mention issues with the image quality or integrity, I reckon the "screen" was done allright. But the lack of touchscreen behavior is some issue in the connection of the "digitizer".

Jig, I remember some time ago, you posted links to a disassembly brochure for a Palm device. Are you in possession of a similar link for the disassembly of the Palm Treo 680?

B?rbara, if you feel with a high spirit so to attempt another DIY, OK girl, go for it. But if you prefer the reference for a repair shop, we can provide several.

ok, i am sorry for not mention that things, i didn?t think they were so important, my bad, and one more time i apologize for that.

I don?t know if i can open my palm again and do what you said, it sounds very dificult, but thanks for the help and sorry once agaiin.

I'm not sure which disassembly document you're referring to, hal, but there are various instructions and videos easily found by Google search for "treo 680 disassembly". It's not something I would attempt myself.

that was the video i used to open my treo for the first time.

Your English is very good, by the way. I speak some Spanish, and while living in Mexico tried purchasing some electronics. I knew my Spanish wasn't very good, but was surprised that I could hardly understand the product description on the side of the box. I struggled hard to understand before realizing I was reading Portuguese! The Spanish was on the other side

I think, Jig, that it was some set of PDF documents posted around, maybe in the guts of the Palm knowledge base, that you know is all garbled for the last year and a half. So for one any traceability to those documents has gone kaput, and for the second, I can recall what I've seen, but I can't always go back on my own steps, even in my memory Oh well, never mind, maybe I'm just plain wrong and somebody else posted the links. The videos will do, anyway.

Well, people, B?rbara here is not in diapers when it comes to the tools. Girl, you followed a video, you disassembled your Treo device and you fixed it. OK, I'm gonna leave the effective result on the side. The merit is yours. I haven't done it myself, and so Jig says he wouldn't do it either. B?rbara, if you feel you will not be that lucky the next time, you are still on time to look for a specialized repair shop. I have disassembled several Palm devices but I was never lucky repairing a digitizer. That said, I have never purchased a replacement part to remove the original digitizer and install the other instead. And the fact that I wasn't successful of course doesn't mean you won't be either. It's your call.

BTW, there is another member from Portugal, here at rabroad. His nick is Bluefish, and he is a fine member and friend And yes, your English is very good.

ok, thanks for all. I might open it again, ahah!

Thank you once again

Hello Barbara,
    Sorry for the late response but I didn't notice your post. Maybe you already fixed it .
    But anyways I mostly just wanted to encourage you to re-open device and try again.
    The first devices I took apart, like 10 years ago, totally freaked me out ..
    I particularly remember when I opened up a sony clie and everything basically feel apart. Little pieces everywhere falling apart and I had no clue where they went at the time.
    I was totally upset at myself. I let myself cool off for a few days, and went back to it.
    And guess what, I got it all back together and it was working fine for years until I got tired of it.
    Since you have the guts to open it I know you can figure it out.

Sounds to me like you should check the connector cable as others have mentioned - make sure it is seated correctly. It's happened more than once to me that the LCD will turn on but not respond, because it was not fully seated.

Second it's possible the LCD your purchased had a bad digitizer. If so I would go back to the source and get another.

If you can't then you could replace the digitizer, which is a more difficult job.
    But I would start with the first two options and see how far it gets you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information