Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Tested RSS software for Palm OS 5 that works

Can anyone recommend free RSS feed software for Palm OS 5.0 that actually works ? It doesn't hang the Palm or require a hard reset to bring it back to life.

Please only recommend software you use and have tried and that works.

Check my signature line for Plucker. Install SunriseXP on your pc to update your RSS feeds (or other web pages, etc). You can then update your Palm through Hotsync.

There are lots of threads here for RSS Readers. One of the favorites is the SunriseXP/Plucker combination. The tutorial linked through my signature should help you, as well as the Showcase. Search around the site for more information and tips. We can help with questions, too.

I've never had any problem with the RSS programs I use. No resets or freeezes at all. I've used the Plucker/Sunrise combination mentioned by Rick, but also iSilo/iSiloX, which I prefer for its ability to show images and text formatting. I also tried Resco Neews, but since I already owned iSilo I found no advantage. None of these programs caused any problems on my TX.

EDIT: I just noticed the "free" requirement on your post. iSilo is shareware, but has a "free mode", meaning it can be used without paying, but with severe limitations. Resco Neews is also shareware, but does not have a free mode.

I kinda wish that there was a "standalone" RSS client for the Palm. I haven't Hotsynced in a couple of years and currently use a Linux distro as my primary OS, not Windows. :/

Sure, I can always use Blazer to view them, but Blazer has its own issues IMO, and I prefer a dedicated app when I can use one.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree, but maybe Plucker will get you close? I use plucker to read files synced to my SD card when I hotsync, but it's just using the foldersync conduit in Missing Sync (mac os). If you had a computer somewhere (desktop, cloud, etc.) that was distilling updated plucker docs, you could download them, hotsync them, copy them to the SD card, or automate it somehow.

I guess what I'm getting at is that you can simplify the need to hotsync down to a more simple/general need to get the distilled files onto the SD card, which of course can be done in a variety of ways. I'd be curious to know if you come up with a clever system for this...

I agree with patrickdylan. I stopped hotsyncing a long time ago. I used Plucker/SunriseXP and simply copied the files from my PC to my SD card. It was quick, simple, and Plucker was so nice to use. I am glad I can update my RSS reader directly on my smartphone, but for the TX, Plucker is one of the best options.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information