Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Adobe for handheld problem

Hi, first post here, I've looked around but cant find this question anywhere so apologies if it's been done before,
    My problem is this, I use my Sony Clie TG50 to read a lot of ebooks on. Been doing it for month with no problems. I open up "Adobe Reader for Palm OS", transfer the PDF file into it, hit Hotsync and it computer to pda.
    A few days ago a mate came round to "sort the computer out" as it was running very slow. Long story shortened- ended up fully wiping it and starting from scratch again.
    I've downloaded the reader for palm again, set it up as before but it wont let me move anything over. It keeps saying "Expansion card not available". Not surprising as I just use the internal memory. However, I cant find a setting anywhere on either the reader program or on the pda so that everything automatically saves to internal. There is a box with a dropdown menu on the settings tab of the reader prog but it's grey'd out so I cnt drop it down, that's the bit I need.
    Sorry if I havn't explained very well or if this is in the wrong place.
    Thanks for any help.
    Mark

Mark (peloquin), welcome to rabroad!

It's possible that after this computer wipe out, the same driver that allowed you this assembly is not the same. That, or the conduit that got installed is the wrong one. What suggests me this is the very feature of Adobe Reader for Palm OS looking for an SD slot that is not present in the Palm device. When it's not present, you don't get the option. I suggest you uninstall and reinstall Adobe Reader for Palm OS. When you uninstall, make yourself sure that its conduit disappears from the conduit manager. Please post back any progress

Hi, thanks for that Hal, just one thing, where do I find conduit manager. I really am not too hot on computer stuff.

OK, before anything goes, do a HotSync operation to ensure proper backup of your personal info.

The HotSync Manager is the program that allows the sync of data amongst Palm and PC, and allows several tweaks related to these operations.

In your computer, in the Task Bar (the lower portion of the screen), you will find at the far right group, a little icon of two encircling arrows, red and blue. That's the icon of the HotSync Manager. Click on it and a menu pops. On the latter, choose the option "Customize". A window will pop up. This window is the Conduit Manager itself, and its purpose is to enlist and manage all the conduits that your working system Palm/PC uses. The conduits are virtual temporary channels that allow the transference of data among the Palm and the PC. Many applications require a conduit of their own, many others admit the use of generic conduits. The conduits are the digital equivalent of cables needed for the HotSync operations.

The Conduit Manager will exhibit two inner windows: a small one at the top, in which you shall see your HotSync user name (you know what that is? Otherwise, ask ). And a big lower window, with all the installed conduits for a given HotSync user name. The conduit you're looking for is named "Adobe Reader". There's not much to tweak on this conduit, the point here is to find it.

I'll assume you have a working installer program for Adobe Reader for Palm OS. Before uninstalling Adobe Reader for Palm OS from your computer, get to the HotSync Manager, and verify if the conduit is present. Next, close the HotSync Manager, and get to the Control Panel of your computer: select Add or Remove Programs, a window pops, let it finish the search, and find Adobe Reader for Palm OS, select, and uninstall. To make sure it's totally removed, restart your computer. Once the via crucis of restart finishes, get to the HotSync Manager, and verify the Adobe Reader conduit is gone. Close the Manager, now reinstall Adobe Reader for Palm OS. When it's done, again open the HotSync Manager and verify the conduit is there. Test the way it works with your Palm device.

Please post back any progress.

EDIT: Ah, shoot, you use a Cli?. Lemme review if the hotsync thingy is similar to that of the Palm programs...

welcome to rabroad, peloquin

to provide background information (apologies if it is something you already know):

the Palm OS (certainly, the version running on your Clie) only accepts 2 types of files into its Internal memory, those that end with .prc (in general, these are applications) and the ones that end in .pdb (generally, these are data files; they support the .prc files to which they are associated).

that said, in order to get an Adobe file onto the Clie, that .pdf file has to be converted; that is what the Adobe desktop on the PC is supposed to do; it should also give you the option of where to put the converted file, Internal memory, or Expansion card.

hal's advice is sound; let us know how things work out

Legend. That sorted it, thank you. Been struggling over it for ages. I had been into the conduit but didn't know that was what it was called.
    Anyway, followed Hal's advice to the letter and it worked perfectly.
    Again, Thank you mate, and "thank you" from my Wife who has had to listen to me moaning and has just realised we dont need to go out and spend ?8 a week on books for me to stick my nose in.
    It isn't as good reading a computer screen as a book but redundancy just makes people more resiliant.lol.
    Mark

Mark, Rick's descriptions came in very handy, you pay attention to them. OK, it worked fine... now lemme do a little confession: my explanation was purely based in the HotSync Manager by Palm, and until I finished my previous post, I re-read yours and I noticed you use a Cli?, that I reckon uses Sony-proprietary software... and I'm not sure it's used in the same way. I mean, it's intended for the same thing, but I have no experience with it, and I'm not aware if the 'controls' are in the same place. OK, so you say it worked, good (whew!)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

hal, the last of the Clie's ran Palm OS 4.1; I don't know if the earliest models ran an earlier Palm OS. I do know that the Clie's were some of the first PDAs to have a display worthy of being called hi-res.

EDIT: as the forum description says, "The Clie line is gone, but not forgotten" -- rugged little beasties!

EDIT-2: the later Clie's ran Palm OS 5, including the TG50. thanks to Hook for error-checking (fact-checking?)

Actually, the latter Clies, including the TG50, ran Palm OS 5.

thanks for the correction, Hook; I'll fix my post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information