Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Icon WEIRDNESS!

Icon WEIRDNESS!

The four icons in the graffiti area on my Palm TX have gone berserk. There are FOUR (4) icons, right? Clockwise from the top left, the defaults are Home, Documents to Go, Email, and Media. Right?

Well, w/o doing anything, my DTG icon was replaced by the icon from ChangeName. This I noticed several weeks ago, but didn't want to mess with the hard reset/restore I assumed would fix it. Then, the Home icon was replaced by the DateBook6 icon! And, yes, these "new" icons, when tapped, opened the applications associated with them (i.e., DateBook6 and ChangeName).

OK. Enough is enough. I did a hotsync and restore to a SPARE (hard reset) Palm TX. And guess what? The icon weirdness is RESTORED to the clean device! So, on the newly restored TX, I DELETED ChangeName. The ChangeName icon disappeared from the graffiti area, only to be replaced by a never-before-seen icon consisting of a Pale Blue Disc with a White Rim on which is imposed a grey stylus, the point of which rests at the 6 o'clock position on the rim, and the head of which extends off of the disk at the 2 o'clock position.

I then deleted DateBook6, and its icon on the graffiti area was ALSO replaced by the same blue disc/stylus icon. Neither of the blue disc/stylus icons are active. Tapping them does NOTHING.

And it gets even stranger. Not only was this icon corruption backed up and restored to a clean TX, the icons on my originally-affected TX are behaving inconsistently. The email icon consistently opens the LAST PRIOR application opened from tapping on of the other three graffiti area icons. It no longer opens email at all (and may have been this way a long time, as I never use that icon anyway).

Did I install any new software? No, or should I say, only the usual ePocrates program updates which are occasionally applied via hotsync.

I'm really perplexed on this one. Help? Anyone? Thanks.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Icon WEIRDNESS!

Welcome to rabroad, MSL.

Unfortunately, yes, when you hotsynced you backed up the problem. All of the icons on the Virtual Grafffitti (VG) area are replaceable. I think a long hold on the icon will let you replace it. I believe the sylus icon is a placeholder, non functional.

The first thing I would try is to delete your saved and unsaved preferences files using a file manager like Filez. It means you will have to reenter unlock codes into all your paid programs, but it may fix things.

Otherwise, your safest bet would be to hard reset, rename your backup folder and hotsync to get back your PIMS, then rebuild your device. You should also download NVBackup to make frequent backups of your device so you can just roll back to a previous backup if this happens again.

Icon WEIRDNESS!

Welcome to rabroad, MSL

while I don't know why the icons switched I know how to get them to what you want. tap & hold the icon you want to change, and after ~2 seconds a list of applications will popup -- select the app you want to be associated with the icon. repeat for the other icons.

it reproduced on your backup unit, because you took the entire saved backup set from the originally afflicted unit and applied it to the backup TX (this indicates that the icon info is stored in the Saved Preferences file). Whichever unit you do the fix on, you can do a complete backup/save & then apply to the other unit, for total synchronization.

Icon WEIRDNESS!

Hook and RickAgresta -- thanks to you BOTH for the immediate replies. I've been using Palm since way back, and the TX since it was released and I NEVER knew that the icons in the Virtual Graffiti area could be reassigned!

I did the tap & hold routine and got the icons I wanted back. LOL! I don't know how they got changed -- probably a bump to the screen while the device was on. Who knows? But, it's fixed now, and a LOT easier than I'd feared. No hard reset needed.

Icon WEIRDNESS!

you're more than welcome, and its good to hear that the problem is resolved.
    @Hook: you got in first because I was writing up on my TX as well as verifiying steps I suggested.Attachment 20540 not that its a contest, or anything...

Icon WEIRDNESS!

testing, 1,2,3........
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information