Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Palm WiFi Card & PowerSDHC

The Palm WiFi Card isn't recognized by my Tungsten E2 when PowerSDHC is installed. If I remove the latter, the Card works fine. I was configuring my old trusty E2 as a backup for my TX, but really wanted to be able to use WiFi occasionally and be able to read large SDHC cards.

Anyone else tried to use this hardware/software combo? I'm pretty sure there's a basis incompatibility, but let please me know if this can be made to work.

Thanks

On THIS page, Dmitry says:

It's a little ambiguous and he doesn't elaborate, but I think it says the PowerSDHC driver and the wifi Card SDIO driver can't coexist. I therefore suspect (but don't know) there is no solution short of going through the pain of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers when needed.

Thanks. I missed that. The following line from the same source makes it a little less ambiguous, I'm afraid: "SDIO support may be forthcoming."

I'm not going to hold my breath. Looks like it's time to get my old non-SDHC 4gb SD card out again, assuming that I can get the E2 to read FAT32 w/o PowerSDHC. I tried once, w/o success. But, then, temporarily removing the driver might be as simple, since the slot is unavailable for an SD card when the WiFi card is in use anyway.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never used a macro utility on a Palm device, but this sounds like the place for one. Is there one which stands out as superior?

Take a look at this program. I never used it, but I know others swear by it and I think it is capable of doing what you want.

Looks like a possible help, but here's the real issue. I find no way of disabling PowerSDHC short of actually DELETING it from the Palm device. It can then be restored, but only from a device which can be read w/o the benefit of PowerSDHC (i.e., a non-SDHC card). A macro would seem to be broken by the transition from the SDHC-capable state to the non-SDHC capable one.

That means one of these options:

1) carry a second non-SD Card with PowerSDHC on it
    2) keep a copy on my Nokia E71 and BEAM it to the Palm via IR
    3) something more elegant that's not occured to me.

Can someone suggest something better? I've TRIED renaming PowerSDHC w FileZ, hoping that would prevent its loading after a reset, but it doesn't. Right now, deleting it temporarily while using the WiFi card is all I've managed/

Well, you should always have a non-SDHC card with both PowerSDHC (and the key) and a current NVBackup on it.

I don't suppose the Palm wifi card has some limited storage on it? I never used it.

But I thought the E71 had wifi? Why not leave the wifi to that when the TX is down and use the E2 for everything else? Seems much simpler. Better browser and email too.

It has been a long time since I've thought about how files are stored on the TX, and I've never used PowerSDHC or a Palm T|E2, so maybe I'm completely off. Could PowerSDHC be stored and reinstalled from the hidden BUILTIN directory (internal memory)? I don't mean to send you on a wild goose chase. I'm really shooting in the dark.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good suggestion, but I don't think the E2 has BUILTIN and that where he needs it, on the E2.

MSL, You can use Filez to check. Go into Filez, view and edit files and go to the options menu. Select preferences and make sure the "show hidden volumes" is checked. Then close back out all the way to where you pick "view and edit files" again. If there is a hidden partition, it will show up, probably called BUILTIN, but could have a different name.

If the BUILTIN volume doesn't exist on the T|E2, then perhaps something like Softick RAM Drive - Add virtual expansion cards to your handheld! would work. Maybe?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information