Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

What's a good Encryption app?

*Many* years ago I used PDA Defense on my Palm Vx and it was a pretty good security application. Fast forward to 2011 and I'm in search of an encryption program to use on my Tungsten T3.

PDA Defense was pretty cool because you could encrypt entire individual databases (Memo, Task, Calendar, Contact, etc). It also had a security wipe bomb. Nowadays I'm not even sure what's out there but I want to keep my data safe. Stuff like passwords, my Social, other sensitive data I'd prefer people not be able to get a hold of if I lost my T3. Something that's really secure though, not like the regular Palm "security" setting.

Ideally what I'm after would be Freeware.

Any suggestions?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I believe that most people still using PalmOS use an app that uses its own encrypted database, rather than encrypting the whole device (if I correctly understand what you're saying).

I use Yap!, which is freeware, but there are also for-pay apps, such as Splash wallet, and others.

You're right, what I had been looking for was something that did *not* have it's own encrypted database but rather locked down the entire device. That way all the data that's on my Palm can just be encrypted instead of adding it into a separate program and deleting the original.

Do you have a link to Yap? Sounds like it could be worth a look since right now I don't have anything.

it's actually Yaps, for Yet Another Password Safe

this is the version I have, fwiw; I use it for lots of things besides usernames and passwords

I think Toasty wanted something that encrypted ALL the data on the device, not just the password safe (and Notes, as indicated on the YAPS site). Not sure though.

I haven't really looked; but I don't recall coming across something that entirely encrypted a device, other than using a password to access the device, which isn't quite the same thing.

I'll definitely experiment with something like Yaps, but if I can find a program that can lock down the entire device, that'd be choice because that's what I'm really after.

PDA Defense was the only one I saw that did it for Palm OS. Even today, other than Enterprise Level IT shops, it in uncommon to find encrypting Smarphones or even their SD cards rather than having an encryption locker that can keep encrypted data and, maybe documents.

Not a device encryption app, but a good database encryption app, and the one I used extensively.

Keyring for Palm OS: introduction

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information