Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Zire72s, Battery totally drained after airport X-ray???

I have the Zire72s

ANYWAY, I use the PDA at my home and always keep it plugged into the charger after about 5-10mins use per week.

Each time I have travelled, going through airport Xray in USA, once at hotel, I cannot turn the PDA on at all! It's as if the battery is totally drained somehow.

I can only think of 2 reasons.

1. The original battery is not really at full charge anymore despite what the battery meter reads.

2. Somehow these new xray machines in the airports are causing some sort of battery drain issue

Any ideas??? Any ideas how to diagnose the problem. I didn't bring my charger on either trip so I have no way of knowing what has has happened.

I hit the reset button on the back, and nothing happened.

If it's just the battery, where could I get it replaced?? I love this unit, and smartphones are not a substitute for this device.

Note: Nothing happens to my newer iPod, 2006 cell phone, or Mac G4 notebook.

try this: plug in the wall charger, attach the 72 to it, then do a soft reset, AND LEAVE IT UNDISTURBED FOR 3 - 4 HOURS. this is what is called an 'in-cradle reset', and it re-calibrates the charging circuit. if you actually have a cradle it may be a bit more difficult to push the button while its in the cradle. an alternate way to get to the goal would be to recharge it, and when the battery has some juice in it, have the cradle setup, push the reset button, and follow the capitalized instructions above.

in my sig is a link which, in turn, lists a link to Palm repairs. in the States, Chris Short is still doing repairs.

Hi Rick..thanks for the info. I'm doing that recharge now. Perhaps it's not the Xray at all, but simply the old original battery. If so, I will have to use Chris Short.

100 views and only 1 response..WOW..what happened to this forum.

I think Rick's post and your reply are the ultimate solutions. AFAIK, x-rays don't fry batteries. They can fry other components though, but not batteries. Pretty much, seems a coincidence to me that this issue happened after exposure to x-rays.

For one, lemme point out that not everybody here knows a lot about batteries, and our resident batteries expert, raspabalsa, has a work overflow so he logs in less frequently than in other years. For other, batteries issues after exposure to x-rays is an invitation to browse around looking for the subject before posting, and who can tell, maybe after a few webpages without conclusive information, we have opted not to post

Agree with Hal's assessment. Besides there being fewer Palm users around these days, once a solution is posted --and Rick covered the bases-- people don't post unless something changes.

Just out of curiosity did you travel with the device when you first purchased it, and did it do the same thing? (assuming you bought this device new).
    I agree it's probably the battery is going dead but if it was happening from the beginning that is a different story. From the devices I have repaired I haven't run into any similar issues but you can always count on good ol murphy .

I had a Zire 72 and the battery just drained. It is a huge disadvantage that Palm batteries cannot be replaced. It needed to remain plugged in to an outlet to work, which, of course defeats the purpose. It gave me an excuse to get a TX, though.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Zire 72 has a battery that is clipped in. Here is a video that shows how to replace the battery. YouTube - How to Replace Your Palm Zire 72 Battery

If you decide to use your Zire 72 or your TX with a 64bit computer there is a 64bit driver available. 64 Bit Drivers are HERE! (Thanks Aceeca corp.!) - Palm Support Community

Thanks! I gave the Zire away a long time ago. Hood posted that 64 bit link too so I have it downloaded it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information